Motel Window

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Once again - how does this make you feel?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

The other night I woke up and saw this. Perhaps it was because I had been sleeping but the curtains seem to have a life on their own. I rolled over. But then I rolled back and had another look. Yes, I was not mistaken. But I was not going to get out of bed for this. Next morning the light was different and the magic was gone. But the following night… The following night I got out of bed and took this shot.

Technical Details

GFX50R, 45-100mm, f/11, iso 3200

Specific Feedback

Emotional and conceptual feedback would be helpful.

1 Like

Hi Igor.

That tie in the curtains makes this look like something, its vaguely animal or a face. Takes a scene ive seen a hundred times and gives it a new level of interest.

Hi Igor. Makes me feel like I’d like to stay there and meet the person that got so artistic with the inner curtain. I also get a slight feeling of sensuality out of it, like an artfully positioned fan in the hands of a high born lady of another age or a veil coyfully held slightly to one side.

Lovely subtle shadings in the black and white. Color would ruin this one.

Igor, I find it curious. Makes me wonder why the curtains were tied like this. Was it a practical solution to keep them away from the air conditioner? Was it a joke? Is it decorative? I think it’s a very whimsical image. I really like the black and white treatment.

What wonderful light!!! I could see a closeup of just one half, from the center symmetry point, and cropped in from top and bottom to conceal the air conditioner / heater. Or even including both halves. But I do love the amount you included to show the situation!

I feel like someone is trying to gild the lily of a 2-star hotel room for the filming of a B-grade, off-color movie.

(reads comments…)

The curtains are rather cinematic - the way the light picks out the drapery is beautiful.