Moving around this subject

I posted 2 photo images of this looking for ideas on position of me when shooting so close. This was taken with my 6D ii and the Canon 11-24 at 11mm (first photo) and 14mm (second) F/14 iso 200. It is a fun lens to work with but the slightest movement changes a lot. It has some distortion, but mostly works well. So any comments welcome. I was not sure about posting in the Landscape but seem to be the best choice.

I prefer the second shot for its composition and darker sky. This really is a great cactus with lots of character

1 Like

Thanks @Nathan_Klein. Another reason I put my self in the position was the organ pipe cactus in the background. This was taken at the National monument

I am also favoring the second. For me, it really takes best advantage of this great cactus shapes and contortions.

The second because it shows perspective better due to the fact that you see the branch becoming smaller with distance. Space is compressed in the first image.

Dean,

Definitely the second for me as well - and for the reasons already mentioned. and it just tells a better nature story - about the saguaro. I’ve spent some time at Saguaro NM and it’s funny how one (at least I did) seek out that “perfect” signature saguaro… but the ones like this one are the fascinating ones. You did very well with the perspective and composition, although I am wishing for a skosh more room around the edges - but at least nothing is merging.

The first one isn’t as compelling an angle or view, although the character of this one does come through a bit. the other issue is simply the somewhat overexposure as some of the highlight areas lack a little detail.

Lon

Agreed, the second one has a much better line, and the exposure and background are better IMHO>