Mud Constellation

…not to me. In fact, I found it mildly offensive that you backtracked this if it was what spoke from within you. Not because of the religious reference, but if that was a primary connection for you in the image, why let it go?

I just got back from the Death Valley workshop with Guy Tal and Michael Gordon and I can’t tell you how much it uprooted my stagnation in creative expression I’ve experienced for the past 2+ years.

Those who desire to creatively express in photography (or any other medium) benefit greatly from their ability to identify and articulate that which inspires them, that which he/she desires to explore, display and “speak” using visual language. For me, whether conscious, subconscious, or unconsciously, exploration of the natural world has always been a form of prayer, an endeavor to commune with and understand God’s first language - the beauty and wonder of the natural world. There has been an uncanny parallel in my faith journey and my growth in creative expression as a photographer. I tended to deny this to varying degrees for several years, in no small part due to the confusion I experienced based on my desire to have an audience, be liked, and share my work. While none of these things are bad in and of themselves, they created conflict in my desire to have the highest integrity as to why I create visual images.

With the help of Guy’s profound insight and ability to articulate the “whys” of creative expression as he does, I’ve been able to “give myself permission” to create solely for my own personal reasons. I’ll still share my work, but will do so less frequently, and will endeavor to forego the desire to “be liked”. Defining success is now about my integrity of creative expression, my honesty with myself and my lifelong desires.

I’m not trying to rant or scold you, please don’t hear it that way. I’m trying to support your instincts, which resonated with me in this image.

1 Like

My reason for the previous title was due to the iconography I grew up with as a child. There are several associations that can be made to this image. In truth I didn’t make any of them in the field. My belief that a photographer makes them unknowingly. I believe that one should photograph on impulse without understanding the why’s.

I am happy that you were satisfied with that workshop. I have read enough of Tal’s writings to pretty much guess what his teaching methods must be like. Perhaps I’ll take it as well. I am less familiar with Gordon.