The Gathering

Bonnie’s version:

Gary’s version:

Guy’s version:

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

For some reason I was struck by this collection of rocks that didn’t seem random but rather directing me towards that V. Do you see it the same way?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

I was was looking for compositions of this nature as I walked along the alluvial fans. The rocks are of different colors and I thought it would look good in color. However, the capture of tones due to a break in the clouds changed my mind in post processing and I went with b&w. I could post the color version to see if you agree. This image is shown as seen. There has been no cropping.

Technical Details

GFX50R, 32-64mm, f/11, iso 100

Specific Feedback

From an aesthetic point of view, is the sky too dark?

3 Likes

Igor,Yes those rocks give that direction . And in my opinion the sky is just right. To me a calm and silent image.Well made !

Igor,
My only comments are modifying the image is to enhance the rows of rocks / depression in the center of the image to draw the eye to the mountains and to add a touch more clarity / texture to the image. Wonderful composition.

How would you suggest I do so?

Sorry, I forgot to post the image. Basically, add a slight vignette to both the right and left lower foreground corners and adjust the texture and clarity a tad, my take.

I have to remember my own advice when I go to Death Valley NP next year.

2 Likes

Igor, I think the image works well in monochrome, and the overall lighter tones you’ve used in the processing work well. I do see the V in the rocks, and I think they actually echo the shape of the mountains. Nice work.

I definitely see it that way. They are penitents heading towards the altar of forgiveness. The low contrast of the foreground and rocks works with that story - they are in relative darkness, heading to the light. Great composition.

I could see a teeny bit more contrast in the upper part, to darken the first set of mountains (an obstacle the penitents must cross) and brighten the main mountain. I thought about brightening the central channel, but that didn’t work at all. Burning the midtones in the channel seemed to make it a tad more prominent to draw the eye in. My idea:

3 Likes

Hallelujah! I see the light.

1 Like

Oh wow Igor, this is so good - I love the luminosity and glow of that mountain! In this image I see all the little dark rocks gathering under the grand enlightened mountain waiting for it to tell them something profound… Or something to that effect. :slight_smile:
Any way, great job and I think this is now one of my favourite images of yours.

1 Like

I love the monochrome treatment that you gave to this image. The light on the main mountain is awesome. I feel exactly like @Bonnie_Lampley does about the contrast in the upper portion of the image and about the rocks in the foreground and her rework is the icing on this beautiful cake. I’m not sure what to do about it but the dark mountain in the URC keeps pulling my eye so you might dodge that one hill to bring the light up just a little bit.

WOW! How did I miss this one earlier? I think it is incredible – all said above. The tonal tweaks work for me, but any version is simply gorgeous. Whatever the story, it certainly tells one. I never think I need to figure out what the story is. It could be in Norwegian or something. Or maybe a better analogy is a song I might love but can’t understand the lyrics. In that case, they don’t matter.

One of my favorite choral pieces is Thomas Tallis’ forty part motet, Spem in Alium. Its in Latin and I once listened to it with the lyrics displayed and that completely spoiled the mystical feeling. The words felt very awkward.

FWIW, I prefer your initial version, Igor. It has a subtle, reflective feeling with soft light. A great image to immerse one’s self.

Cheers,
David

Very evocative image Igor. The rocks look like they are being drawn to the far mountain, I like Bonnie’s suggested edit. It gives the rocks and mountain a stronger presence.

This is stunning, Igor! I love the glow that seems to emanate from that middle peak; almost spiritual; as the FG rocks bow down to it’s presence. It is a small element, but I think the small gully that winds it’s way toward the mountains is crucial to this scene. All the diagonals also help draw the viewer in as well. The B&W treatment works beautifully here as does the drama laden clouds. FWIW I do not find the sky to dark. It looks spot on to me. This might be my favorite image of yours.

@Igor_Doncov

I like the image, it has a soft feel that compliments the soft light. The clouds are just about right for me since I don’t usually go for the over darkened clouds that seem vogue these days. The mid-ground band of hills seems to lack dimension due to flat contrast. The foreground overall seems flat - everything was crowded into about 3 zones. The dirt also seems to lack inherent contrast.

A bit of burning added to the shadowed parts in front of the hero peak would help with differentiating the peak and add depth using a Z5 burning mask @ 25%. I also brushed the hero with one pass of the same brush to increase the local contrast of the ridges to add depth on the peak. The small channels in the foreground received the same.

I used a Z4 25% burn over the entire flat area to darken the dark rocks. Still feeling the ground lacked contrast I used a Z6 50% dodge in the same areas. Look closely to see the difference it makes.

I also used the Z5 dodge on the darkened hill areas to sculpt some dimension into them.

As for how I read it, my beginning geology class 50 years ago gets in the way ( @Bonnie Lampley is laughing ). I see the rocks as retreating down slope. Thy seem to be attempting to converge on the channel in the near foreground.

Igor, I have not read anything . I’m so glad this subject found you and that you have used your excellent seeing to create a winner. Some would want more contrast. I like it just as is. I see triangles. texture and leading lines. Keeping it lower contrast helps to let these features reveal themselves and speak. The triangle in the main mountain is mimicked by the triangle in the rocks - wonderful. The dry rivulet in the foreground creates visual movement and the lines leading down in the mountain complement this. And, you captured the texture beautifully. I love it. Now I’ll read others comments.

Igor,

This is a striking image. Caught my attention and held it for quite a long time. I do like the processing additions by @Guy_Manning . The added contrast really adds something. The title is nice, and gives a sense that the “little mountains” are congregating to come back to the home mountain. Add to it the dramatic sky and it really does tell a great story.

Apparently not everyone agrees.

@Igor_Doncov
I am confused, there is not one negative comment in the thread. Only positive opinions on the image, and personal opinions on how individuals would approach the processing. None of them is right or wrong according to modern philosophies. :^)

I wasn’t referring to this thread. I can see that my comment was confusing. No, the comments have been great. I couldn’t have asked for better ones.