The Gathering

Igor,

I’m way late of course, trying to get myself engaged again. and I would be remiss if I didn’t come back to this and comment.

I sure do. The rocks, but more noticeable, the diagonal lines on both sides - work to contain the scattering of rocks, such that together they most certainly draw the eye in. This is an outstanding composition with the lead-in, with the eye getting directed to the beautifully lit peak and all that is the desolate landscape. The sky up top perfectly contains the scene.

My initial impression; Guy Tal. Please take this as a compliment. To be more specific, I thought of Guy’s style and discoveries; only in color. This has your signature. Obviously.

I actually love this as presented. I could be persuaded to vote for Bonnie’s version with the slight increase in contrast. But your original… I can’t offer anything to improve on. And to answer your question on the sky, nope, it’s not too dark - it’s just right.

Lon

I too love the photo just as it is in your original image, also the sky. All is said for me, I can’t say anything more, only beautiful.

@David_Haynes, @David_Bostock, @Diane_Miller, @Lon_Overacker, @Eva_McDermott, @Giuseppe_Guadagno, @Guy_Manning, @Ed_Lowe, @Youssef_Ismail, @Larry_Greenbaum, @Tom_Nevesely, @WillR, @gDan52, @Ben_van_der_Sande

Thank you for your interest and comments. The general concensus seems to be that the foreground should be darker with the rocks darker still. The reworks all seem to go in that direction. It’s interesting because the foreground was darker originally and I lighted it because I wanted sunlight instead of a shadow in that area. The image was processed for color and then on a whim changed to black and white. I probably should have started processing for b&w from the start. Well, there was some b&w adjustments made after the fact for the sky. What interested me in the field were the colors of all those rocks in the foreground. They are multicolored. However, after processing it I didn’t do much with the image because it was fairly ordinary. Then I made the b&w conversion and the image got a second wind…

Fortunately I signed up for a b&w workshop next spring. Perhaps they’ll let me use this image as work sample and then see what one of those b&w professionals would do with this image.

I think all 3 reworks are better than the original. Thanks.

Very I’mpressive @Igor_Doncov - I have read other’s takes and here is just something a bit different

1 Like