Tribe

Barbara’s Version:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I loved the light on this guy. That and the texture. This was along the 20 Mule Team Rd in Death Valley. I shot several subjects like this, including those in the background, but this came out the best I think. Why did I shoot this picture? I thought he had a personality.

Specific Feedback

Does this work for you? How would you change it. I didn’t want to darken the sky in order to not draw attention away from the subject, but who knows. It might have worked.

Technical Details

GFX50R, 45-100mm, f/11

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

In a slight way, this reminds me of your recent post “The Horror.” That textured foreground is filled with character, and makes a pleasing focus. I really like the supporting cast, those features in the background may not have been your pick over the foreground but they sure make a nice backdrop to put some icing on the cake.

If there had been a way to compose without that ridge along the right edge it might have been a thought, but it’s not a big deal.

This gave me pause. My initial reaction when I saw this was that the sky brightness distracted from the show below, but I see your point (especially if driven to the high contrast that black and white skies are). I wonder about just a bit more cloud texture though, to soften the glare up there?

1 Like

Really nice Igor. I love the low contrast tonality and you’re right. A lot of personality here. Smart attention to detail to keep from merging with the BG hills. I thin k you made the correct call on not darkening the sky but I like the added texture to the clouds in @John_Williams rework. My only small nit and I’m really nitpicking is the way the plain rolls off to the right.
Sometimes I’m a little slow on the uptake. :grinning: I don’t get the title.

To be completely honest, I don’t get it either. I’m in total agreement with @Kerry_Gordon that titles can be a pain.

Yes they are. That’s on e thing I’m always unsure of when I post an image. I’m terrible at coming up with some amazing title that everyone is gonna think is clever :grinning:

A nice scene/image, graphically quite bold and punchy. Could crop a touch off of the sky maybe?

Igor, I was drawn to your choice of subject. However, I find it rather flat because the foreground, mid, and background merge into each other without clear contrast differences. I downloaded it in PS and added contrast to the immediate foreground and just the white clouds in the sky.

Contrast added

Thank you Barbara! I like it. I posted your version next to mine for comparison.

You are welcome, Igor.

This is a wonderful rock formation Igor! He definitely has personality; reminds me of The Thing of The Fantastic Four. I do like @John_Williams take by adding a little cloud texture as it keeps the viewer on that interesting rock formation jutting out of the desert floor. This is a lovely B&W with a nice range of tones.

Igor, the foreground formation does have lots of character. I do like @Barbara_Djordjevic 's version where the foreground rocks stands out and there’s better separation between the distant ridge and the sky.

Very cool image !!! works great in black and white … i like the contrast added version … it gives the image more depth and really nice vibe …

I’ve been observing myself observing subjects to photograph and I’ve decided the decision to photograph is almost entirely due to the subject resonating with me. Sometimes it’s clear why it’s resonating but most times it’s not. It just is and you shoot. When you understand your source of stimulation then you can give your image a title. But when you don’t then a title is meaningless and shouldn’t be required. Incidentally, I find images that resonate for unknown reasons to be much more satisfying to look at and I value them more.