Mushrooms in the Golden Hour

Went into the forest looking for subjects. Visited my usual area containing ferns and fungus. Ran across this variety later in the day and set up tripod to photograph several of the bunches of mushrooms with my Canon 5d Mk.III and Canon 180. Happy that the column of bright sunlight fell on this bunch of mushrooms.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5d Mk.III with 180 macro lens, f-5, 1/250sec., iso 2000

elwise44

I love the frilly edges of the mushrooms and the way they are lighter, which serves to emphasize those edges. Nice detail in the front that then fades to blur giving it a 3D look.

Wayne, I like this one a bit better than your previous shot of these mushrooms, I think. The pano frame works well with the mushrooms. Iā€™m finding the top and the bottom to be pulling my eyes away from those nice mushrooms, and all their nice shapes and texture. I wonder if just darken both the top and bottom just a little bit would improve it. It might be that if the saturation was pulled back on the bottom it would improve that portion. Not sure. Might even be just me. Great subject and capture.

Chris and Shirley, many thanks for comments and suggestions. I will darken the bottom and top areas along with lower saturation. You would not believe the beautiful column of golden light shining through the trees, across the Potomac, and onto this cluster of mushrooms. I hope to go back and try some slower shutter speeds to catch the beams shining through the trees.
Wayne

1 Like