Muskox

I am in the process of selecting old images for a new website I am developing to showcase my photos. I found this one from 2014, taken a short distance south of Prudhoe Bay in Alaska. It was shot in early evening and required a high ISO on an older Canon camera. I thus had to use a fair amount of Topaz Denoise on the background. The background color, while unusual, is natural. I’m not sure what the pink rock is. Canon 60D, Canon 100-400mm at 350mm, AV exposure, f/7.1 at 1/200th, ISO 4000.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

So glad that you went back through old photos and found this one. Really nice shot. I like the way you have his attention, and the other one looks like he is feeding and could care less about your presence. The background really is nice, enough out of focus but still we can tell that it is mountains.

Cool frame, it takes a while to figure out that there are two of them.
I like the colors, but would like to crop out some of the foreground.

Excellent eye contact and warm complimentary colors throughout. The centered composition works with the head on view.

Charles, I have always wanted to photograph these animals. They are awesome and I really like how you set this up as an animalscape. I agree about losing the foreground just a tiny bit also another thing that I would consider is reducing the saturation in the OOF BG ever so slightly to separate the muskox from the BG.