My Arch Nemesis

Image:

Description:

Day 5 of hummingbird action photography and it was a cold, overcast morning with rain drizzling off and on. With lots of hummingbird activity on our deck, I setup the equipment and waited. One flew down and fed at one of the flowers near my bait blossom. Fingers poised on the shutter release button, I watched the hummingbird fly up and perch on a stick about 16 feet away from me. It looks like high key time and I adjusted the camera and took a few shots. And that was it. I will admit, I find this defiant little hummingbird is exquisitely done in detail on a pale sky background, but not even close to the expectation of success with one captured with my setup while in flight.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Z9 600mm f4 (1/80 sec. at F11, ISO 640) Levels, Shadows and Highlights, Brightness and Contrast, Crop for Comp.

A bratty little bird for sure. Cute though and at least you got something. The soft blank background really helps that detail come through and there is so much to see! Great save.

1 Like

A hummer at 1/80 sec-Impressive. Posed well for you and there’s good detail.

1 Like

Hi Jim
I am still amazed at your high-key setting, to get a white background and clean outline on the Hummingbird is no small feet. The detail and coloring on this bird, is very nice.
Peter

1 Like

Hello, Jim, well done ! I haven’t seen many hummingbirds in a high-key setting, and I actually like it a lot ! Cheers, Hans

1 Like

Quite nice, Jim. A fine consolation prize for your time even if it wasn’t what yo set out to get.

1 Like

Excellent color and detail in this high key setting. I really like this.

1 Like