Mycena after it rained

Weekly Challenge

Autumn Underfoot
9/27/26 - 10/3/26
Critique Style: Standard

The photographer is looking for thoughtful feedback on the image as a whole, especially around the areas noted below.

Feedback Focus: Artistic / Expressive

About This Image

After a rainy night, I went back to visit the log with the myriad of Mycena. Here’s one look where I filled the frame with the wet mushrooms. This is a 25 shot stack for dof with AI noise reduction.

Feedback Requested

Finding a frame filling grouping when the view is this busy is a fun challenge. I have a couple of others, but chose this one to post because the slight gap in the upper right and the bits of green lichen peaking through differ from the maze of mushrooms.

Technical Details

Camera: Canon EOS R5
Lens: EF180mm f/3.5L Macro USM
Focal length: 180mm
Shutter speed: 1/13s
Aperture: f/14
ISO: 6400
tripod

Very good, Mark. The water adds a lot to the image and the advancement in the stage of the mushrooms also shows off different features. I think you did an excellent job filling the frame in this one. We finally got a good rain over the weekend and are having a little more today, so the mushrooms should be starting to come out pretty well.

Yep -Dennis said it all
Great frame filling shot!

Must get out there myself
Huw

Nice and vibrant Mark - well done! Perhaps burn the RUC some ?

Really well done Mark and mission accomplished. It’s a striking photo and you’ve captured the wetness and seeming chaos nicely. I even enjoyed the fellow in back who couldn’t stand up straight, ha ha. Green lichen in BG works well too. I looked this up- a group name for mushrooms is “troop”.

Mark: I liked the original but may like this one even more. The water and the better look at the underlying log help this a lot. Question: did you apply the denoise to all of the images before the stack or only on the composite result?

Very interesting capture. I really like the flower-like subjects, and them being adds to the fun. Well done.

Hi Mark, how great is it to have a Mycena log to photograph. I really like this image, it keeps my eye moving with the lighter underside of the Mycena and the stems bending about making graceful lines.
Alice

Nice grouping here, Mark. I love the textures and color.

You might consider burning down the wood in the URC just a bit. It grabs my eye.

The water really adds to this! Nice capture!
-P