Nesting Bald Eagle

I was recently alerted to a pair of nesting eagles about 30 minutes from my house. On a recent trip to the location, I failed to get any in-flight shots of the birds but, of the nearly 200 images I did capture, this is my favorite.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I like the this particular pose of the bird, and I think the overall image is a strong one. But, there are always nits. What do you see?

Technical Details

Canon R7, Canon RF 100-500, f7.1 @ 500mm, 1/400 sec., ISO 100. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping.

1 Like

I see a stunning photo of a Bald Eagle, Terry and my only wish is that. . . well, I had had the opportunity and the skill to get the shot! Nicely done.

Very nice! I want to see baby pictures soon!!

And I see you upgraded your equipment recently while I was too busy to keep up here – you have a great rig! Don’t be afraid to use the 1.4X or 2X – they are both amazing!

Thanks @linda_mellor. You are too kind.

Hey @Diane_Miller. Yes, it was past time to upgrade from the old 60D but I was essentially forced into an upgrade, and this is what I settled upon. I have a list of several accessories I need/want. An extender is down the list a bit, but maybe I’ll get there! As for the eagles, they will hopefully have a successful breeding season, and I’ll get to photograph some eaglets. If so, I will be practically camped on that spot!

1 Like

With good exposure, a tripod or enough shutter speed otherwise, and good NR, you’ll find you can crop hugely with that sensor, and with the APS-C body you’ve already got a 1.6x focal length boost.

1 Like

Though I haven’t tried cropping that heavily, I certainly haven’t been disappointed in my purchase so far. I’m looking at an ifootage C180 Mark II monopod and a Wimberly MH-100 ball head as my first accessories, but still shopping. (Btw, I’ve taken a couple of fox images with the new gear, if you want to check them out.)

I’ll go fox hunting in just a minute! You might consider starting a Discussion on tripod, monopod and head recommendations. Lots of experience here to draw on. There was a discussion on monopods a while back, if I recall.

1 Like