Bald Eagle On Duty

My husband and I took a trip to Maryland and Virginia last week. While there I was able to go to Chincoteague NWR where I saw this Bald Eagle sitting on the nest, guarding the two young ones (they had just lost one the day before). They were considerable distance out into the marsh area in this large pine tree. I had to crop it in pretty good even after using a 600 mm lens. It was cloudy, so the lighting wasn’t the best. I appreciate the views, comments and critiques.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I am not real good at it, but does the camera and wiring need to be removed by cloning? It is there to provide viewing in the nest at the visitor’s center.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 5D Mark IV, Sigma 150-600 mm at 600 mm. Settings manual (except ISO was auto), f6.3, 1/500, ISO 1600, handheld, rest elbow on top of my friend’s tripod. Edited in LR and used Topaz Studio AI Clear.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Very nice, Shirley. In the largest image, the detail in the eagle holds up very well. I like the composition with the placement of the bird being excellent. Personally, I think I’d leave the camera. I’m getting a bit tired of the pretense we seem to adopt that we’re not affecting the world.

1 Like

Wow Shirley, I am totally impressed with this photo. The detail in the eagle, when I scrolled in close, is really good. I also like how you’ve cropped it, giving the bird a setting in its home. I agree with Dennis about the camera not being a problem for me, I hardly noticed it at all.

1 Like

A very nice habitat shot. (Have you had a chance to read Keith Bauer’s recent essay?- I’d say this fits in nicely with what he was talking about.) The larger version shows good detail in the eagle. I could go either way with the camera; I guess it depends on what you’re trying to convey.

1 Like

What a huge nest! It must be very stable and used over several years.
I also like where the eagle is placed and inclusion of the nest and various branches. The camera and wires do not bother me and I would leave them in.
Remarkable sharpness and detail in the eagle. Eye looks tack sharp. Pretty impressive for both the gear and being handheld.

Nice one.

1 Like

Considering the situation, I think you did a good job with this image. Excellent behavior and environmental content here. Well composed. If it were mine, yes I would probably remove the camera and wire and I did make an effort to remove or clone out the stick in front of the Eagle.

1 Like