Lake Baldy

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

We are fortunate to live near a lake that has an ongoing, active nest as I type with 2 kiddos growing by leaps and bounds (can’t wait till they fledge, and start flying around). Here’s an adult I caught flying by while out in a boat hunting them. D500, Nikon 200-500 lens, hand held, 1/4000th, f. 7.1, 500mm, ISO 6400, AI Clear, cropped to 4351 x 2989

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Hi Dave
Can I move in next-door, sell my Canon gear and photograph eagles all day. This is a great shot your Bald Eagle.
Peter

Peter-
Sure. I’d even show you where the nest is. 2 days ago my sweetie spotted an adult Baldy soaring while we were eating lunch. Yesss. I have quite a few shots of the pair but I can never get enough of them. Hey, why would you sell your Canon gear?

Beautiful detail in the eagle, Dave, and I like the wing position. I think it could be considerably looser in the frame and the sky color doesn’t look real to my eye. There’s some kind of darker blue halo around the bird, probably from a selection and subsequent adjustments.

A nice fly-by shot, Dave. The good news is that you had plenty of shutter speed to stop the action. The bad news is that the exposure is great for the dark wings but the white feathers are over-exposed and you lost a lot of texture/detail on the top of its head and bits of the tail feathers. Bald Eagles are difficult because of the contrast which is why I always set the exposure for the bright white feathers and then bring up the shadows in processing to pull out the details in the wings.