Nevada Wilderness + RP

A new revision, maybe about all I think I can do. Some changes in the raw sliders and then I resorted to a TK midtone mask for a contrast tweak . Also darkened the LL corner.

Just for interest, here’s the unadjusted raw file – unadjusted except for the profile, of course, which is unavoidable. This was the default Adobe Color, which is usually my most successful choice.

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

An aerial shot from a couple of months ago. This would have been near Battle Mountain, NV. I was intrigued by the soft morning light on the hills, along with their fragile vegetation which always reminds me of the velvet on antlers.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome! This is a subtle subject, at best. I’m wondering if it’s more boring than interesting. Pushing it farther got to feeling strange, although it could be taken in an “artistic” direction.

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-07-13 at 9.44.03 AM

Shot through the plexi side window of a Bonanza, so IQ is not ideal. Adjustments in LR to bring up very low contrast – Blacks, Whites, Clarity and Curves. WB tweak. Into PS just for a selection in the UR to subtly reduce saturation. No denoise or sharpening. Very slight crop from all sides.

2 Likes

Lovely! It’s hard to believe that’s Nevada, it looks so soft. It feels pretty flat, but there is tonal variation. I thought maybe bringing down the darks a touch and raising the lights just a touch would bring out more dimensionality to the hills. I did that in ACR with a couple gradient filters. Here’s my thought, trying not to take it too far and lose that soft morning light feel:

Hi Diane,
that looks great. I love the soft shapes of the landscape. But at the same time, so many small details are recognizable.

I also couldn’t resist and had to play around with the picture a bit.

• I pulled the tint slider to the right to add to the color separation
  • I raised the blacks in the very dark shadows of the small bushes
  • I added some midtone-contrast to the whole image

I am happy for you that you always have your private pilot available. :slight_smile:

Thanks, @Bonnie_Lampley and @Jens_Ober! The raw file (and the others I took that trip) were super low contrast due to smoke from wildfires in western Canada – the first of the two rounds of fires there. I had trouble deciding where to stop or how to balance tonalities in bringing it back. The color Jens brought out was what I got early in the process but I decided the pinks didn’t look natural, But seeing his version here and on my iPhone, they look right. There were probably some reds in the bare soil. This area is usually so sun-bleached when I’ve seen it that I don’t remember much color, but there was a lot of rain almost everywhere this spring so the vegetation was probably more colorful than I left it. I’ll put up a revision in a while.

I went back and reworked things and came up with a little more punch – thanks @Bonnie_Lampley and @Jens_Ober for that nudge. Posted above, along with the unadjusted raw file. I don’t think I have the dynamic range to try to work with files this flat!

1 Like

Really nice Diane! I like the reworked image with the stronger shadows very much!

Great photo, @Diane_Miller! I really like the soft tones and the color contrast in this photo. The only thing I will suggest is to darken the top very slightly to keep my eyes within the photo.

Julie