New Zealand moss-draped forest

This is from the same shoot as the other images I’ve recently shared in the landscape gallery section. Unsure as whether I should publish this one officially. There’s no immediate composition, subject, shape or texture that stands out to me, but I keep coming back to it anyway. It’s not my standard wide-angle with exaggerated foreground and leading lines, neither is it a tight, textural or abstract image.
I will definitely return to this general location at some point and if I come across this particular scene again, I plan to shoot just the right half of the frame in a vertical orientation. I really don’t like including the sky in these images.
What are your thoughts?

f11, 25mm, iso 320, .6"

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Michael, I agree that this scene is not as strong compositionally as some of your other recent posts. The only thing that stands out to me as a dominant element is of course the fallen tree in the foreground. I’m not sure this strong horizontal line of the fallen tree really works well with the vertical lines of the trees above it.

The only thing I could think of was trying to use the fallen tree as the dominant subject, perhaps something along these lines. I added a strong vignette here too to emphasize the fallen tree.

Michael,

Now this one has got me thinking… a mossy green Lava lamp… you see it?

Not as compelling as your last post, but this still works to make an impression. I think the right 2/3, 3/5 of the image works and still gives me that lava lamp impression.

Lon