Next generation barn owl

I took this image on a barn own chick (if that what the young birds are called in english) when I was going a group that but rings on their legs for research purpose. I have never seen a young own before and I think they look very interesting, but perhaps only beautiful to their mom.

Specific Feedback Requested

All feed-back is welcome

Technical Details

600 mm, f/6.3, ISO 450, 1/800 sec
Processed in Lightroom classic.

2 Likes

Baby barn owls are homely, but they provide an interesting subject for the nature photographer. The center comp looks good and I especially like the overall darkness of the scene. You could even do a tighter crop and concentrate on the head of the owl if so desired. Well done…Jim

1 Like

thanks a lot for your comment Jim! Appreciated! I did an image with a much tighter crop but this one did not do great in my camera club…perhaps the crop was too tight. I will try something in between and see how it turns out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hi Johan
I really like the back lighting and framing. The eyes tell the story in this photograph. Very nicely photograph.
Peter

1 Like

I really like this, especially the scrim of light on the perch. There might be too much of a difference between that and the bird’s head, but that’s a matter of taste. Such terrific crisp focus and detail. What a face!

1 Like

Johan, this is sensational. I like the dark, cool look and the comp works quite well too. No worries about the centering of the bird. It still feels dynamic.

1 Like

I like the original as posted. Excellent facial detail and the background works well with the color of the owl. I like the coloring of the perch as well. Maybe more room around the face for the close-up view to get more of the nice contrasting background.

1 Like

I like this a lot, Johann. We have Barn Owls, but don’t get to see them at this stage since they’re in a free standing box and we don’t like to disturb them. The feather texture is wonderful. I think for the head shot to work well, you’d need a bit more depth of field. In the one you said didn’t do well at your camera club, there’s a n awful lot of out of focus fluff that is a bit distracting.

1 Like

Nice! I really like the first one but would consider a crop in between the two posted images as you suggest.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your comment Peter!

thanks Kristen! I will think about whart you wrote about the light!

thanks I am very happy you liked the image!

thanks a lot for your suggestions Allen!

It was really interesting to go along with the biologists that ring marked the owls and gave me the opportunity to photograph them.

Thanks David! I will experiment a bit with cropping!