NGC 2264 (Cone/Christmas tree nebula) in SHO

Imaged in Portland Oregon over 4 nights this past month.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
ASI294 Color camera with Williams gt71 Scope.
8 hours of imaging stacked in Astropixel , Processed in Capture one, Pixinsight, Affinity photo.
SHO refers to the Hubble palette colors vs the RGB color out of camera.
A fairly complicated processing procedure in Pixinsight.

3 Likes

Hey Dan,
I don’t really know how to comment on an image like this other than to say that this is simply spectacular to witness. The technicalities are way beyond my understanding but I have to say that this is just gorgeous. Kudos to you for all of the hard work that goes into one of your images like this. I can’t even imagine but the payoff is otherworldly and you must feel a real sense of satisfaction and accomplishment when you get a final output image like this.

And the hits just keep coming. This is one of your most dramatic ones, Dan. Excellent.

This one’s gorgeous, Dan. I think you’re actually getting better at this. The recent compositions are richer, more complex.

Thanks Igor.
I am getting much better, Astro is a steep learning curve, taking the images is easier than most people think , processing is a lifetime learning curve.
This is what the out of camera 8 hour stack looks like.
This is about 160 - 3 minute images

I might remove that blue circle in the blue area. In normal photography I would feel comfortable with that suggestion. But in astrophotography, where bright circles are normal, I don’t feel as confident.

I do like those ‘clouds’ near the top. If that were all black the image would be less interesting.

Thanks Igor, good suggestion, that is actually a bloated star which should not be blue so I will get rid of it.
I take the stars off the image first thing and add them back as I want anyway. Most of them are gone.

Extraordinary image its drama is certainly very unusual. Images like this spark my interest in deep space photography

Pretty dang cool! You are presenting some beauties.

Wow Wow and more WOW !!!
I dont know how to do these and certainly dont have the equipment to. But these are a wonderful insight into the unknown and thank you for sharing these Dan