Nighttime in the Grand Canyon

The night sky was so bright, it was hard to sleep. I took my camera and my fisheye lens, set the timer at various long exposures and placed it on the camp cot (did not have a tripod) - and played with timing and aperture.

What technical feedback would you like if any? The orange/pinkish cast is interesting. When I shot sky in Olympic National Park - the night sky cast way blue/green with the same camera and setup. Is the color cast the reflection of the local environment? Does anyone else have different observations?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? The satellites were just coming into the frame - are they distractors or do they add interest? Unfortunately, without a tripod, I had no way to do fine adjustments to the camera placement.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D750, f2.8 at 13 secs. ISO 4000, Nikon 10.5mm fisheye lens, at 10mm
(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

EJ, I’m enjoying the night view here. The fact that it is taken through an opening took me a bit to realize, but it adds some extra interest. I also like the two airplanes (most satellites don’t blink, because they don’t rotate, and all aircraft are supposed to blink, per FAA regulation) as added interest. Some extra color noise reduction in the corners would be good.

1 Like