No Man's Land

(Original)

(Alternative composition)

A hard two-day hike led my students and I to a ridge overlooking the vast Southern Patagonia Icefield, Earth’s largest body of ice outside the polar regions. It is a remarkably vast and remote place, and home to some of the worst mid latitude weather in the world. Hunkered low against the perpetually fierce winds that help define this place, I was captivated by this rare view of the ranges on the far side of the icefield, the roiling clouds streaming over the skyline from the nearby Pacific Ocean, and the play of light and shadow across the gigantic glacier below.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Though a remarkable experience, this image has landed on my “seconds” pile from this trip. In some ways I really find it captures the mood well, but in others I suspect it is just too busy. Given the time of day limitation I had in photographing this scene, the black and white processing that emphasizes strong contrasts seems much more effective to me that trying to work with the muted blues and whites of the midday light. I appreciate any and all feedback about anything, but my basic question is whether this one deserves more consideration, or if it is best placed back in the closet. Any suggestions on how to improve it?

Technical Details

ISO 200, 185 mm at f/10, 1/2000 sec (the only way to keep the image sharpish given the strong winds shaking the tripod!) Black and white conversion in Nik Silver EFX pro; other dodge/burn and similar processing in LrC and PS.

1 Like

Jeff, you’re too hard on yourself. I would be proud to have this in my portfolio. This is just exquisite. The B&W emphasizes the drama. I feel small and humbled by the majesty of the mountains. Wow. This is a place I’ve dreamed about going to, but will never likely make it. The only nit–and it’s minor–would be a bit more room at the top. But that doesn’t take away from an outstanding winner of an image.

I like this shot, Jeff. Like @David_Bostock mentioned, I think the B&W really brings out the power in this mountain and the heavy fog surrounding the top emphasizes that even more. It has wonderful detail. I’m wondering if the bright strip of snow at the B would look better if it was darken just a tad, but not enough to lose the shadow. I agree with David that a little more space at the top would have been nice, but it certainly isn’t a deal breaker. I think your should raise the bar on this one.

Jeff,

This is one incredible landscape. To answer your question, but all means, this deserves to be worked and give some serious consideration.

An impressive scene of nature for sure. The contrast seems quite appropriate for the conditions and subject.

My only real suggestion/wish would be to have more room up top. This was mentioned by David and Donna as well, but I thought this also before reading their comments. I think you have an opportunity to creatively add canvas up top for some extra breathing room. Maybe you have some other frames to help build that room? Don’t know if that goes beyond what you’re comfortable with.

That mountain of ice - must have been quite the experience being there. I can only imagine.

Lon

Just goes to show what I know, @David_Bostock, @Donna_Callais, and @Lon_Overacker! Again, the compositional problem I have of composing too tight into my subject rears its ugly head. I did have a composition taken a couple of minutes prior that provides more space at the top of the peak, but this image requires other compromises in terms of lighting in the scene. Do you think the added space in the alternative composition is worth more than the somewhat less dramatic lighting in the scene?

Thanks for your comments.

Jeff, your original is much more impactful. I wouldn’t let the tight crop bother you.

Cheers,
David

Jeff,
It must have a magic moment standing in front in from of that mountain, now thinking about what you are going to compose, with only the back of the camera to judge an image, been there done that. I too agree with the prior comments, for me if I were to PP this image, I would try to bring out some detail / texture in the dark areas. I took a stab at it on the jpg image. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Gary

A dynamic image - well worth your hike!
Compositionally i favor the alternate since this gives the RLC a little more space
Tried openig up the shadows a little LUC ?