Nodding trillium

This is my first time shooting this species in Wisconsin. They are less abundant than great white trillium and can get lost in a sea of those flowers. But if you look closer you’ll find them. The leaves are different as are the flowers since they bloom below those lovely leaves. The buds start out on the top though and bend or nod downwards. These and the bent trillium have prominent green bracts as part of the blossom itself - nodding has them behind the white petals, bent in front. Great whites have them entirely behind and not interleaved with the white petals. It’s fascinating how small differences come about in the same family of plants.

I decided to post these together since they round out how the flowers grow and since it was raining off and on while I was out, the water drops add some interest.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback is useful. It’s not too late to go reshoot. I can drown myself in Deet and hope for to avoid exsanguination.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Lumix G9
Lumix G Vario 35-100mm f2.8 or the P/L 45mm f/2.8 macro
Tripod & polarizer with the macro shots (#2 & 3)

Processed in Lr for white & black points, a little cropping and some local adjustment tools to manage light and clarity on the flowers and the leaves. I decided on a B&W version just for fun.

@the.wire.smith
1 Like

A nice series of the nodding trillium. Composition-wise I like the first one best. The nodding position makes a great composition in itself, then you have framed the scene very well and the background is pleaseantly blurred. Colors are good. A minor comment: Eventually you could erase the two small “particles” on top of the right leaf.

I like the first one. the flower and the leaves are well composed. The flowers are hard to capture as they droop down, but you have done very well. I like the Composition of B7W but there is not enough tonal variation to make the flower pop up.