Trillium and a little more

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
On a walk of the Nordic

ski trail where I work, I quite by accident discovered this Western Trillium (Trillium ovatum) with what I thought was something quite unusual in nature. I later found out through some research this does occur a fair amount it was just my first discover that made it special for myself. The three hours it took to setup for this image with some diffusion scrim, wind breaks, and a speed light with snoot and grid was very enjoyable and time seemed to fly by. That was until it started raining hard giving haste to getting all that equipment back into the cases very quickly. I explored several angles but chose this one for your review. Thank-you for any and all input.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Nice capture of a difficult flower to photograph. Typically the flower points down but in this case they are both facing upward. Even though the lighting is a bit harsh, the whites do still have some detail. Do wish the background was the same darkness as the foreground forest floor. Hopefully, in a month or so we will have them blooming here. Thanks for posting this image.

Michael: Wonderful find and a fine capture. We do not have trillium in our part of the world so I always appreciate when folks post good images of them. Considering Patricia’s comment regarding the upper BG, I messed around some and just put a fairly strong vignette to darken the corners especially. Not much to improve upon but here’s for your consideration. Top notch shot. >=))>

Michael, this is a nice capture, of from what I understand, a not so easy subject. I am not familiar with the plant, so I am guessing it doesn’t grow around here. I like what Bill did to it. Just a tiny improvement on an already nice image.

1 Like

Michael, finding trillium during a woods walk is always a treat as their three lobed flowers and leaves stand out because of their simplicity. This one looks like it has four lobes in the left hand bloom, which is neat. It also sounds like your shoot turned into an adventure… Bill’s darkening especially in the upper left does let the flower and plant stand out a bit more.

1 Like

Thank you Mark. Yes I always have fun in exploring the world closeup. Several times I’ve gotten involved in creating the image only to realize it had been raining lightly. :sweat_drops::flushed:

Thank you Shirley Yes Trilliums are special as one of the first to bloom here in the Pacific Northwest. My parents transplanted around fifty or so around our cabin in the 60s. There still doing well and a joy to see that spring has arrived with their happy white blossoms looking up from those big green leaves. As the blossoms age a very nice purple color comes over the white sometimes a blending of white and purple gives another opportunity to create another image of the same plant. Thank you for your kind remarks I look forward to sharing more images with you.

I don’t see this plant here at all, Michael, so it’s nice to see a shot of it. Its form makes it tricky to shoot but I think you’ve done a good job - though I also like Bill’s vignetting, which I think helps reduce the dappled effect of the bg.

An excellent photo for me too Michael. I love this splendid flower that is not arrived in Europe unfortunately.

1 Like

Thank you Giuseppe. The plant is fairly common this time in the Pacific Northwest of USA. It really signals spring has arrived.