North of the wall

Strong winds blowing across the ridge only left a gentle dusting of snow and ice on the landscape. None of the trees really stood out to me in the moment, so I decided to go for a more abstract composition.

Specific Feedback Requested

Does the image feel too busy to you?
What do you think about the color and contrast?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Single exposure @ 38mm | f11 | ISO 640 | 1/100s
I used luminosity masks to darken the background considerably and added a subtle orton effect to the highlights.

martinmaier_photography
1 Like

This is a beauty, Martin. I love the color palette, the mystical and wintry vibe, and the composition is very pleasing.

I love busy compositions, this one included, and I don’t find it too chaotic at all. The one simplification that I think could help this image would be to clone out some of the dead grasses in the foreground (especially left side). It does distract the eye a bit and I think if your lovely arrangement of icy trees was suspended above that thin strip of a mostly pure looking snow, it might help the image sing a bit more clearly.

Also, personally I prefer the softness of your edit…but if you wanted to ramp up the visual impact I think you could go a bit further in darkening the background, if you were interested in more drama (the full GOT treatment!). But that is personal taste. I wouldn’t, however, suggest photoshopping in any White Walkers! :wink: :clap:

1 Like

Thank you very much Sean! :slight_smile:

I have tidied up the foreground a bit more now. You were right, it was a bit too distracting. Not sure if I’ll add white walkers though :rofl:

Cheers!

1 Like

Hi Martin,

It is a lovely photo. This is the style of photographs I prefer. Why don’t you try to darken even more the sky, this would add further emphasis to the trees and create some drama in a peaceful scene.

You would obtain a photograph with a “Jean-Paul Lemieux” painter’s style (a famous Canadian painter from Quebec you now see in museum).

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/fr/article/jean-paul-lemieux

BTW, it is my first reply at NPN as I’m a new member :smile:

Yvan

1 Like

Welcome to NPN Yvan and thank you for the feedback.

The layermask is not perfect thb and the image breaks down if I push the background beyond -1 stops. I quite like the calm nature of the image anyhow, no need to add further drama IMHO :sweat_smile:

1 Like

You’re right, the image is superb as is ! I was curious to see if adding more drama would increase its impact. It would obviously change the mood.

I sometimes use soft grad ND filters in the field to darken the sky in winter landscapes. This allows for a damper ambiance. Here is an example made in a rainy day of winter.
Neuville 2017 02 25 0196_4x6|690x460

Nice shot Yvan :ok_hand:

I stopped using graduated filters myself, because at the end of the day it is a destructive workflow. Most of the time I can get away with a single/bracketed exposure anyway and do the rest in post. But I know that this is just a matter of personal preference.

I guess a polarizer could have helped my image but I was too preoccupied with keeping warm I guess :rofl: