Northern Cardinal, female

Seen yesterday in the backyard set up. Attracted by peanuts.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 90D, Sigma 150-600 C, tripod
ISO 400, f9, 1/800s

@allensparks.wildlife

Beautiful portrait of this female cardinal, Allen. Great detail in the bird and the OOF background really helps set her off. I’m going to have to try the peanut trick. Nicely done.

Hi Allen, great color, detail, and catchlight. Good POV. I think the females can be nicer looking than the males.

Good detail, well composed, and a pleasing color palette.

It’s amazing to me how often we see BGs and settings that are color-matched to the birds, and this is a prime example, with the green on the perch also represented in the BG. For me, though, in this case it is a bit distracting from the bird and I wonder about toning it down a bit. Female Cardinals have such lovely colors, and you captured them well here, along with wonderful detail. I always have to smile at the lipstick!

Very good, Allen. That’s a nice perch, but the lichen is a bit bright. The Cardinal is gorgeous.

Wonderful detailed shot of this Cardinal. I think the background really compliments her. Nice shot.

A really good look at the female. A nice full side pose and little bit of head turn. She does get a little bit lost in the matching bg. I also like the photogenic perch. I just wish the little gap at bottom wasn’t there. She looks very alert.

The only nit I have with this shot, is it isn’t mine!!! Wonderful details, great pose, nice perch, and a complimentary background on this well composed image. :+1: :+1:

2 Likes