Female Northern Cardinal + Repost

Although the bright red male Northern Cardinal grabs most of the press, I think the tans, browns, and reds of the female are very beautiful.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I enjoy photographing the subtle beauty of the female Northern Cardinal.

Technical Details

Canon R7, Canon RF 100-500mm L IS USM, f5.6, 1/400 sec., ISO 1250. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping. Topaz DeNoise

3 Likes

Terry:

I think the is a pretty strong image. The inclusion of some environment is helpful for the aesthetic part of the image.

Technicals look good except for the OOF branches next to the head beak and intersecting with the tail and the bright white edge above the branch. The details like that are very important.

Here’s a version to address those issues.

1 Like

The cleanup you performed definitely helped @Keith_Bauer. Did you use content aware?

A mix of content aware and low opacity cloning with a layer mask to make sure the clones didn’t affect any of the edges of the bird or perch.

1 Like

Great; thanks. I’m going to do some practicing on that image.

Hi Terry,

Let us know if you need some detailed instruction on the cloning and fill.
I’d be happy to help if needed. :slight_smile:

Beautiful bird and very good job on the composition!
Details and pose are great! :slight_smile:

Thanks @Merv. I’m using PhotoShop Elements, with which most folks on NPN are unfamiliar. But I believe I can perform most functions in PSE that @Keith_Bauer mentioned. Or maybe I can figure out another way to do it!

I don’t have cardinals near me and have never a photo of a female…I find the colours here much more interesting! Beautiful. (And yes it is better without the twigs so close to the head…that’s a great skill to be able to remove).

Thanks @Robena.Sirett. I have reposted the image with edits as suggested by @Keith_Bauer . I didn’t do as well as he did, but it’s better.

Good, detailed look at the female. Good job on the re-post.

I should have made more clear…it would be a good skill for me to have!

Thanks for your comments @Allen_Brooks.

Believe me @Robena.Sirett , I need work on my processing skills, as well !