Male Northern Cardinal

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Nothing complicated here. I saw him on that stump and thought it would make a pretty shot.

Specific Feedback

None

Technical Details

cardinal

Canon RF 100-500mm, hand held, processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping, Topaz DeNoise

Nice image of this species, Terry. The green background makes the reds stand out well. You got a nice head-turn and the image is well-composed.

Very nice look at a species I wish we had out west. Nice head turn and the stump makes a good perch. The green background complements the bright red of the cardinal. I wonder about a crop from the left to remove the blue highlights that tend to draw my eye. A pretty shot for sure.

A very nice shot, Terry. I really like your stump and the Cardinal gave you a very nice pose. Detail looks excellent. I’d hesitate to crop from the left, but you could burn those blues or do a vignette to bring them down. I remember photographing these in Texas some years ago and I always had to resaturate them because the software wouldn’t believe them.

Thanks @S_Govindarajan. He gave me a nice opportunity.

Thanks @Allen_Brooks. I would be hesitant to crop it as I’m afraid it would throw the balance of the image off. I might be able to burn it down, or adjust those blues, though.

Thanks @Dennis_Plank. I agree about the crop (please see my response to @Allen_Brooks, above). Both the camera and Adobe seemed to handle the reds very well. The only adjustment I made on the bird was to brighten it just a bit.

Very nice pose and excellent color and detail. Wish they flew around here.

Yeah I miss these guys. We always had two or three pairs of them around when I lived in NH and they were regular feeder visitors. Of course I wasn’t much of a bird photographer then so I have no photos, but one like this would do me just fine. Nice expansive perch, almost a stage really. The varied colors in the bg don’t bother me at all since the red is so rich and the shapes so crisp and bold. Super job.

Hi Terry, nice head turn you caught of this beauty. Nice details too. I like the BG overall - the only part that really catches my eye is the bright spot under the tail. Crop looks good to me. Nice image.

Thanks @David_Schoen @Kris_Smith and @Allen_Sparks. A common bird around here and yet challenging to photograph because they’re spooked easily. I could probably mute the background colors a bit.