Northern Cardinal on Stump Repost

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below. Canon 5dsr, 1/320 sec, 420mm, f-8, iso 2000 Darken background, add more to right of frame.

Good detail and color on the Cardinal. I like the pose but I think it needs more separation from the background because the tan colors on the body of the bird are too similar to the background. Perhaps lower f-stop to blur the background and also decrease your iso. The perch has nice diagonals.

Hi Wayne, I like this capture on the log as it seems like a nice natural setting. Nice catchlight in the bird’s eye. It looks like some filter like noise reduction was run over the bird as the details don’t seem too fine. I could see having more room in front of the bird. A nice image.

A nice look at the cardinal with a nice pose and good detail. I like the perch; it has some interesting texture and lines. I could see playing with the contrast and brightness of the perch and background so the cardinal stands out a bit more and could also see a bit more room on the right. A nice capture: the perch and bird make a nice combo; it doesn’t always have to be just about the bird per recent discussions about environment.

Thanks Guys, Agreement on all accounts. Could not settle on emphasis of bird or stump, ended up settling on both.
Wayne

Nice work on the respot John, the composition with more room on the right is much improved. Nice detail and perch.

1 Like

Thanks Nate, I intended to tone down the stump itself but , guess something else caught my attention.
Wayne