Female Cardinal

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others
learn)
D3400, ISO 1600, f/10, 1/500, fl 270mm

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I think this is a very nice image Michael one of my favorite Birds. I blew it up and it looks pretty sharp and I saw good feather detail. Nice simple background. The only thing I would prefer is a natural perch but I’ve certainly taken my share of Northern Cardinal photos on non natural perches. LOL

thanks Jim

Excellent detail, Michael and you caught a very good pose with sweet lighting. The image is fairly noisy, but I think many of the available noise reduction packages and probably the built-in function in your processing software would take care of that. You might want to select the bird, invert the selection and just run the noise reduction on the background. The other thing you might consider is straightening the feeder pole so it’s vertical. If it’s like most of mine, it’s not really vertical, but it’s nice to pretend.

thanks Dennis, I just got DXO and it seems to work great

Cool Michael. I know someone who uses that for tough noise reduction issues and he loves it.

Bird and detail look pretty good. Image is a little dark, and the manmade perch and noise have been mentioned. Tech-wise, I would have reduced my ISO by a lot and opened up my aperture a corresponding amount. No need to be shooting at f/10 to get the bird in focus, especially at 270mm and when you’re going to crop anyway. A moderate focal length like that and being some distance from the bird will both increase DoF. I suspect the image is pretty noisy both you cropped in a good amount and because you’ve raising the exposure in post. Decreasing ISO would help retain image quality on both counts.

thanks Lyle, good advice … will do

thanks again
Amateur