Northern Pintail

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any/All

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any/All also, should I make an effort to remove that horizontal other duck wake or is it okay going across there?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

This was taken at the Merced NWR with my D500, Nikon 2-500mm lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, 1/2500th, f/8.0, ISO 1100, 700mm, cropped to 1440 x 1118, hand held, AI Clear

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Nice light, color and detail, Dave. These are favorite subjects of mine when at Bosque del Apache. The comp of your crop worked well.

They are ridiculously cool looking. I just can’t get over how fine the paint jobs are on some ducks… how about male Wood Ducks?! Goodness.

Great look at those beautiful feathers and pin tail, and very nice detail.
Nice water too.
Could use a bit of CCW rotation to level the water, and there are some horizontal streaks and dust spots in the upper blue areas that might be cleaned up.
Really nice image!
Sandy

Hi Dave, nice capture of this beauty with good detail and light. Nicely composed. My only nit is a couple of dust spots behind the bird’s head and neck. well done.

Excellent, Dave. The detail in the Pintail is excellent and I love the water. Great head turn as well.