Not Much Longer

Not Much Longer - Original

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I found the original version of this a bit bland, so I played with a texture effect that made it much more apocalyptic, and which actually fits the circumstances. The prairie below the cliffs is slated to become a 1000-home series of subdivisions in the next couple of years (if they can ever solve the issue to virtually ZERO water!). The location is actually within the city limits of Colorado Springs, and was at one time planned for fracking pads (again, not enough water), then was sold with the understanding that half the property would become a park. That plan has been scrapped, so the bluff I took the photo from is one of the few places that will remain open space. I’d originally titled this Behold My Domain!, but the new title is more truthful.

Specific Feedback

I really like the placement of the juniper snag over the edge of the bluff. I do wish I’d reduced the flat, bare rock in the lower right. I remember moving around the area trying to find a better angle, but was stymied by the sun (a lot of sun-glare just to the left), and by the clouds and haze that were thicker to the left, and by the fact that when I stood closer to the edge, I lost the ability to keep all the branches in the frame., or to keep them in a photogenic position. So why can’t a nice juniper snag be perfectly positioned?? Grumble, grumble!

Technical Details

ISO 200, f 16, 1/60, 24 mm. CPL

Denise, while the redo does have more of an apocalyptic feeling, I also like the original. I like the sense of the lone tree (with a very interesting shape) overlooking the plains. This view could be a good subject for some early or late light. I do think that cloning out the power poles would add to the edge of the prairie feeling.