Bare Winter Trees

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I have an ongoing project I have been working on called Desert Woodlands. Though this in not technically a desert woodland location, I just love the hidden life in the bareness and soft earthy pastel colors of winter trees wherever I find them. Bare as they may be, their true raw shape and character shine with every twisted and broken branch.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback is welcome

Technical Details

Handheld
Nikon D800e
Nikon 70-200mm 2.8
1/100 sec at f/6.3 iso 50

Jory, welcome to NPN and the Weekly Challenge. The stark, bareness is this photo is striking as is the contrast between the foreground and the mountain behind. Your main subject is centered, which gives it power, but makes the photo static. If you want a more dynamic feeling, then cropping from the left would work well. The strong blue of the shadowed snow is what the camera sees, but human vision/brain tends to compensate for that making it seem white. Again it’s a choice, but if you want to, desaturating the shadow blues through a mask will let this view “feel” more like what we expect. As I said, this is a striking view with interesting contrast between the foreground and background.

1 Like

Welcome! @Mark_Seaver’s comments as always are very useful - I’d just differ about the centering of the tree. To my eye it contributes a lot to the symmetry of this very pleasing shot. My eye treated this more as an abstract, so the blueness in the snow enhanced the lovely contrasting colors of the whole. I might crop a little off the top to reduce the amount of snow visible there as well as to balance the dark top with the bottom grasses, but again that’s personal taste. It’s a haunting image.