Misty Winter Morning

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Awakening early I ventured out from the warmth of my sleeping bag and was rewarded with this view of frosty trees across a misty snowy meadow.

Technical Details

Canon 5D
400mm/5.6L
ISO 200, 1/25 sec., f9

3 Likes

This is a beautiful image, Paul. I think the composition is very well balanced and the bare trees stand out nicely. And, of course, the mist is really cool. The snow around the base of the trees strikes me as a bit bright in relation to the rest of the image, so I would maybe experiment with reducing the highlights in that area a bit. Just a thought. I really like the image as is.

1 Like

This shot was worth getting out of your sleeping bag for! I really like the B&W and the sense of calm. I had the same thought as @John_Kilgour that the white snow is just a wee bit too bright so that it takes attention away from the fog and from the lovely contrast between the uppermost branches and dark backgroudn

1 Like

Stunning capture @Paul_Dileanis. Nicely composed foreground with the dark background of the pines. The soft foreground of the fog or mist brings the trees to the eye very easily. It feels like three layers of foreground, midground and background are well balanced.

I really enjoy the look of this. Did you need to do much to really bring out those trees in the foreground? The stark whiteness is stunning. Or was the light highlighting them that way? Either way is cool, just curious. Thanks.