Winter's Grove

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

How do you feel about the contrast between the white snow and the dark tree trunks?
What do you think of the composition and framing of the photo? Is there a clear focal point or a sense of depth?
How does the black and white effect enhance or diminish the mood and atmosphere of the photo?
Do you find the photo interesting or captivating? Why or why not?
What suggestions do you have to improve the photo? Would you change the angle, lighting, or editing?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

This grove of aspens was along the gondola leading from downtown Telluride to the village. Winter’s grasp and the darker light and background allowed me to capture this image in movement.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 90D
ISO 125
Tv - 160 sec
Aperture - f/11
Lens:
Canon EF-S 75-300 f/4-5.6
Focal length 85 mm

Specific Feedback

Aesthetic and Technical feedback.

Todd, this is an intriguing look at this Aspen grove, where your b&w treatment fits the scene very well. What I’m most captivated by is the variety of brightness of a few of the Aspen trunks. There are two in particular that stand out from the rest (one near the right edge and another about 1/4 in from the left. I think that some dodging of a few more trunks, so there are 5 or 6 brighter trunks (or sets of trunks) across the frame will help keep interest across the frame. I thought I give it a try, so here’s a quick look at what I’m thinking. This is notably brighter overall and I’m not sure that’s good…

Mark, I am really liking these changes. It does change the feel of the image for the better. I do like the brightness of the trees, especially along the edges. It gives the image a “larger” feel. Thanks for the suggestion and rework.