Not what you might be thinking

For a recent book project, I joined Yosemite’s aquatic biologist in search of federally threatened Yosemite Toads. We hiked a couple miles into the Yosemite backcountry, at around 10,000 ft, and before long began hearing their distinctive trills across the plateau. We traversed over to the shallow pools from where the vocalizations were emanating and watched an amazing show unfold. Yosemite toads breed in ephemeral small pools only a few inches deep. Attempting to attract females, the males stake out a spot and vocalize repeatedly. When another male approaches too close or an individual is trying to claim a new spot, they often engage in physical combat. They will often wrestle and shove each other trying to hold their opponents head under the water.
Laying in the mud on the edge of the pool to get a ground level view, I watched as one toad approached the individual closest to me. He quickly jumped on the other’s back and the wrestle match was on. The male on top engaged the other in a headlock, attempting to shove his head under the water, while the bottom toad tried to wiggle free. This went on for a couple minutes before the grasp was released, they moved apart and began vocalizing again hoping to attract the attention of the females nearby.

Canon 5d Markii, Canon 400mm f/5.6, 1/160sec, f/13, iso 400

Wow, these are beautiful creatures. Hats off for your project, and also for getting nice and low for this image. I love the colors and details on these frogs…the focus is awesome. I appreciate seeing the muddy environment they are in, yet I think I’m wanting a tighter crop to see them even better! That’s just me of course. Thanks for sharing something about these beauties!

TFS. Great effort and wonderful story, I love the techs too ! The bottom Toad appears to be bigger.
I just wish you could get the view clear from bright grasses, but in this case you can burn the grasses, so that they don’t interfere so much.

Great image! Your exposure was spot on, and those toads are bright and clear and beautiful. Too bad the grassses in the LRC were in there, but as Jagdeep said, you could burn them just a little bit so they weren’t quite so bright. Well done.