Oak Creek Crossing

I’m an Old, New Guy.
I was on NPN a few years back.
But due to back issues was shooting less and less, so I drifted away.
With an improved back and retirement, I’ll give it another go.
I learned a LOT here.

Specific Feedback Requested

General suggestions.
Thanks for having a look.
Tom H

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D800, 1/60. f18, ISO 200
Processed in LrC and LuminarAI

Nope

Welcome back to NPN Tom, glad to see you decided to return. This is a very dramatic location, and it’s enhanced even further with the peak foliage conditions. The blue / yellow color contrast works well here, with cool tones both in the sky and in the water. I think the river and it’s banks create some interesting layers in the composition.

I think the silhouetted branches in the upper right corner (URC) are more of a distraction than an effective framing element. I would consider cropping from the top and right to remove them. I might suggest considering a crop something like this rework.

Thanks Ed, appreciate the suggestion.
I like as much sky as possible, maybe a “content aware fill” could work up there. Thanks again.

Welcome. It’s great to hear that your back recovered. One doesn’t hear that very often. Although I’ve never been to Sedona this is how I pictured it to be. I think this is a nice enough image with all the elements in a balanced manner. The water seems to be a bit too blue but in all honesty I think less saturation would probably weaken the image given all the other colors. I would use content aware as well on that upper corner because of the strong horizontals in the composition.

Thanks a lot Igor!
Good to be back, still many excellent images on the site.

First off welcome back to NPN, Tom. Hopefully the back issues are a thing of the past. This scene has a nice inviting feel to it with the combination of warm and cool colors and the diagonal placement of the water does a nice job of pulling me into the image. The side lighting works well here. I too would clone or crop those leaves in the URC. I hope to see more of your posts again.

Hi Ed, thanks for taking the time to give me your feedback,
I appreciate it.