Oak in Fog

This was captured just a few hours ago. Woke up this morning to a blanket of fog over my home town. Grabbed the camera, tripod and headed out on some local back roads just a few miles from my house.

I confirmed the old saying… you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take… Glad I went out today. Motivated in part thanks to the new NPN!

What technical feedback would you like if any?

original isn’t very sharp, but given the softness of the fog and processing, do you care? Fog was the primary driver here, but I did enhance the effect in post.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Lots of directions this could go. Even a more high-key approach, or the opposite and bringing back more contrast. The color version shows an ever-slight amount of green/yellow in the grasses at the bottom, but even the color version is 99% monochromatic. Any suggestions or ways you may take this?

Any pertinent technical details:

Nikon D800E, 28-300mm @162mm, f/8 iso 200

As always, welcome to any and all comments, critiques and suggestions.

Lon

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

This is great, Lon. With the fog, the sharpness is not even an issue. Great mood and sense of mystery. Processing looks excellent to my eye.

Lon, really great work in the fog! I took the liberty of adding contrast and darkening as you suggested as one direction to go. It is apples and oranges…I think I like your version better!

Lon, a great idea here and glad you got out to make the scene too. I always enjoy tree images that provide the etching look, albeit this one is shrouded in fog. Regardless, it still provides that look or feel based upon lines & structure more so then color, depth, and even a totally clean composition…:sunglasses:

Thanks @Alan_Kreyger! Yeah, that works too. Thanks for comment and taking the time.

Excellent, Lon. Nicely framed and the fog adds tremendous atmosphere. Scrolling back and forth, I think I like a bit more contrast in the direction that Alan took the file but I’m not sure I would darken. I really like the high key look and would not want to lose… maybe just a bit more contrast.

Glad you got out there! really nice image, and I agree that the softness is a non issue with the fog. I think I’d put in a little more contrast, but perhaps somewhere in the middle between yours and Alan’s

1 Like

Great mood and feel to this, Lon. I agree that sharpness is not an issue here and that it could use a touch more contrast. I find myself looking at the image searching for the detail, trying to following the branches with my eyes. With a bit more contrast like how Alan showed, I’m able to take in the overall image without feeling like my eye needs to “search”, if that makes sense. Definitely on board with the high key look, however. I’d say if you keep the current exposure but get the tree to stand out a bit more you’re in great shape.

I love this! The softness is perfect. I find myself searching around, finding details, then some shapes and lines within the overall image. My mind knows it’s a tree, but I like the fact that it has to work for it a bit…if that makes sense.

Having looked at your original, and Alan’s re-work, I think something in between the two, contrast-wise would work nicely. I love the tree, and the fog really sets the mood, Lon.
-P

1 Like

Very moody. I like the composition emphasising the diagonal of the tree trunk. I experimented a bit with increased contrast on the light lights followed by a bit more contrast on the light midtones, keeping the overall lightness. Well, not good enough to show here, but it may work on the original image. Well seen.

Lon, I’m totally agreeing with Preston on his point of in-between the two posted images. The OP and the modified version with more contrast. I think a tiny boost in contrast might work well here…:+1:

Glad I didn’t miss this one Lon. It is a beauty. I love the soft and delicate look of the image and also how your composition nicely fills all of the space with the branches of the tree.

I actually prefer your original post … it has more of that ethereal feeling.