On a Puffin Cruise

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Sony a7/70-200 f4 @ 93mm f8

This image doesn’t have a lot of dynamic range, so I used levels to add contrast. And I couldn’t resist a wee boost of the saturation.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Chris, this is a very interesting minimalist type image. Obviously you have beautiful pastel colors here to emphasize, but I like how you included just enough small elements in the scene to make this more than just being about twilight colors. And congratulations to you on finding a way to make the lobster buoys work for you. In my Maine seascape images I usually spend half my processing time cloning them away, but here they are really part of the “minimalist” story. I like how the buoys and the island form a triangle pattern to create some eye movement. Nicely done…

1 Like

I love the minimalist approach you took for this image, Chris. The gradients of warm and cool tones work beautifully together and the wispy bands of clouds are just gorgeous IMO. The placement of the land mass works perfectly and I like the inclusion of the main lobster buoy. I am on the fence about the others as they are kind of small in the frame. This has a real nice peaceful feel to it. Beautifully done.

1 Like

I like the simplicity and peacefulness the soft pastel colors convey Chris. I am also on the fence about the lobster buoys.

Chris,

Simple is almost always good and very good in your image here. Great job with the processing as I’m really enjoying the colors (and it’s ok to add a wee bit of saturation… ) :wink: I especially like how the colors are picked up in the water. Very cool.

I’m also on the fence with the buoys, but mostly the primary one. In the end, the main buoy tells a story. Without it, then all the other ones, we can’t really tell what they are - they good be birds or something else. So, I think leaving the main buoy is best. It shows well in the large view.

Lon