On to next flower

I was practicing some new settings in my camera at the gardens. Mostly with button assignments. The R7 has this joystick next to the BBF and the other up down left right buttons in the back left side of the camera. I was using that to move the focus point around but watch a R7 YouTube on reassigning those buttons. So I set the up button for AF window size, bottom switch from one shot focus to servo, right button to eye tracking off and on, and left to tracking on and off.

This allows me to switch modes when something is moving around. Tracking seems to work pretty well when clos up to these small subjects.

Specific Feedback Requested

I cropped this quite a bit, but the bee is the main subject. That said I wondered if I should have left most of the flower in the photo even though it was OOF. There were also more yellow flowers a lot more OOF but none in the direction of the bees flight

Technical Details

R7 100-400 ii f/4-5.6 with RF adaptor ISO 1600 1/4000 f/10. HH

Dean, it sounds like you are getting well acquainted with the R7 and taking advantage. of what the camera has to offer, finetuning it to suit your needs. I like shooting both macro and birds, so I am trying to set the R5 using the Custom 1, 2, and 3 to different specific needs as well as all those buttons. Not there completely but working on it.

I like the composition the way you have it. For me it is fine that the flower is partly oof. I would have rather had the bee coming towards me camera, but, I haven’t been able to talk one into flying where I want them yet. That said, the bee is nice and sharp, and the eye is visible, and the story is being told that he is done with that flower and moving to the next. Nicely done.

Yes bee school is not working for me since they do whatever they want. I have learned watching them gives me a pretty good idea when they are thinking so do jump ahead to the flower I think they will go and start shooting as the bee comes into the FOV. That said I do get a bunch of photos of the same flower without a bee. I know how the Custom 1,2,3 works, I just haven’t used them yet although I do need to use them. I do plan to get a full frame mirrorless as well just not sure which one yet since Canon is releasing another R6

1 Like

Playing with all the new stuff is fun, isn’t it? I love how customizable new cameras are these days. I like the take off pose here and the bright color. Looks like the yellows and oranges may be clipping though.

Thank you for the response @Kris_Smith and @Shirley_Freeman I wonder if a polarizer would have helped here because those flowers are very bright. I might try again in the shade or a cloudy day.

1 Like