One the Fence #1

Critique Style: Standard

The photographer is looking for thoughtful feedback on the image as a whole, especially around the areas noted below.

Feedback Focus: Artistic / Expressive

About This Image

Following on from the Fairy wren. With the absence of trees, the birds made good use of the fence posts and wire. The yellow vegetation is canola. Early morning.

Feedback Requested

A few changes from the RAW image for this one. A bird has been removed and one added. A small amount of canvas added to the top. And bottom wire moved closer to the top wire and the post moved closer to the birds. Just for the sake of composition. Now I’m thinking I need slightly more on the right. I didn’t want to lose the yellow on the bottom.

There were stripes between the wire that was another mesh fence. That has been blurred. The reddish colour in the mid ground is ploughed ground.

Was the image worth the effort?

Technical Details

Camera: Canon 5D4
Lens: Sigma 150-600mm
Focal length: 600mm
Shutter speed: 1/1250
Aperture: f6.3
ISO: 500

Shot taken from vehicle.

I think it was worth the effort, Glennie. These birds are wonderful and I like the poses and the fence. I think you did a good job working from what you described as the original to get here. My personal preference would be to eliminate the left half of the post and the wires to it’s left and crop a bit to get the composition back to something more balanced, but that’s just my taste. I did add a bit of a stroke around the edge as I view in the dark mode and the top of the frame was blending into the dark screen. So for what it’s worth:

Hi @Glenys_Passier

lovely colours and nice coloured barbed wire.
I agree with @Dennis_Plank with the crop - just that the post is very thick and dominant in the frame

I also took the liberty of burning in some of the brightest areas on the birds’ heads and darkened the lighter one so it was more of a match reds-wise to its companion

Its a lovely image

Huw