Otter Plethora

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

We were recently down at Morro Bay and happened upon a colony (?) of 18 or so otters splashing, playing, rolling, and preening. These are 8 of them doing their thing. Talk about a challenge on what to shoot. I’ve seen otters before but NEVER this many together. I spent probably 20 minutes blasting away with a smile on my face the whole time.

Specific Feedback

I decided to hone in on these particularly interesting buddies. I centered them and kept it fairly tight (they weren’t that far away). I did not have the ability to get down more at the water level. I think this shot needed a little elevation to depict them best. So, what say you about cropping?

Technical Details

Z9, Nikon 200-500 lens, monopod, 1/3200th, f 8.0, 300mm, ISO 1400, Photo AI, cropped to 4337 x 3121

I believe this is called a raft of otters! How fun to capture. I certainly don’t mind that it is not at eye level. This indeed tells the funny and fascinating story of how they loll about in groups. I think you did a great job of shutter speed and DOF to see the actions of all. Personally would like to see a looser crop, because the otter on the far left is cut in half, and to show more of the habitat even if it is “just” open water. Well done, I have only had once opportunity to see a raft of otters and could not get such a compelling photo!

OMG and octet of otters! What a thing to have witnessed. I’ve seen them off the coast of Monterey, but not in such numbers. Very cool. I like the arrangement here, but the contrast seems a bit much to me. I love how they’re all chillin’ and relaxin’, like a pool party.

A lovely shot Dave, each of them is doing something slightly different from the others giving a sense of a busy raft going about daily otter life.
I would pull the crop back a bit to get the left side one in, and I have to agree with Kristen about the contrast, not easy with these dark coloured animals

I think they’re about to play hide-and-seek and bottom right corner otterlet is “it”. I too feel sorry that one guy is chopped in half. If you can’t widen that side, maybe he could be cloned out, giving you lucky 7. This would also mean that we still get them really close. A gorgeous gang, very well caught!

Hi Dave, that’s a lot of otters for sure - must have been great to witness. Their expressions are priceless. I agree with less contrast and taking out the half an otter. This is a fun shot - thanks for sharing!