Out on a limb +RP

Literally, all the limbs and branches, but also out on a limb as to whether or not how well this will go over.

Was in Yosemite the day after Thanksgiving. I missed all the snow coming down, but lower temps and no sun for a few days kept the snow in the trees for a while. I was attracted to the remnants of the one tree that still had some leaves snuggled in the masses of the barren, snow-dusted trees. And I processed to emphasize. A couple layers to bring out the yellows in the leaves (they were actually more green and very much less vibrant in the RAW capture. but then also, I reduced both color and contrast of the remaining scene; one layer was a lower opacity b&w layer; just enough opacity to keep the color, but reduce it’s impact (then pained away around the main tree.

Anyway, would love to hear your thoughts, feedback and critique. Always welcome!

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Processing of course. I raised the luminosity in general, just wondering if it needs more

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

work for you?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Nikon D800E, 28-300mm @85mm, f/16 .3s iso 50. single frame

3 Likes

Great mix of seasons. I would boost the luminosity a bit and would either clone out or crop the section of rock at the top. I find it really pulls my attention. Real nice.

I love it.

Many forms of abstract I appreciate, but am not necessarily drawn to. Most often when I am, though, it is an image like this; a landscape scene that the composition and processing have made mildy disorienting. There’s a gorgeous under statement you have to gaze for a while to fully enjoy. Well done.

I do agree with Harley. That central rock section at the top is a little too “real,” and it grabs the eye. I would clone it. (You could crop it, but I really like your composition as is.)

Hey Lon,

I like the abstract nature of this image. It works much better full screen than on a phone.

I’m wondering as you’ve posted some abstracts with in camera movement lately. Did you try icm here or is there something that you look for in the field that prompts you to consider icm abstracts?

Thank you @Harley_Goldman and @John_Williams. Good call on the open rock area up top. I was wondering if that would be commented on.

I’ve gone ahead and combined a slight crop top and left with a little cloning fill in the area up top. Also, some subtle cloning in areas to reduce the darker green areas (on the left)

I also played with Luminosity, although looking at these side by side, it doesn’t seem like it was much. I did try and bring out the yellow leaves a bit more.

Thanks Nathan for the comment and question. A good one too. On this trip I did a number of the ICM’s; several that I really like and may or may not post. So to your question, no, I did not with this particular scene. I am looking for conditions to continue experimenting with the technique. Color, contrast and the potential for lines (tree trunks…>) are good candidates; really anything with a variety of color as well. It’s amazing how much even very small patches of color and variety of colors can impact when the camera is moved. The particular scene was pretty monochromatic - except for the lone tree - and give the distance I was from the subject, I didn’t really consider this scene for an ICM. Had I been in closer, possibly “among the trees”, then maybe. What I did find interesting is that the ground being covered in white did create some interesting results. Maybe I’ll post something soon.

Thanks for the question!

1 Like

Repost is the bomb Lon; I really like this one.

1 Like

I’m really liking your repost, Lon. Cropping the rock was a wise choice and the change in processing is subtle but very effective.
:vulcan_salute:

Lon,
This definitely works for me as the large version has so many textures and details to let the eye wander and savor. Your processing has created a lovely painterly scene with the yellow leaves being the central focal point. BTW the repost with the small crop is the ticket IMO. wonderful image.

Real nice job on the repost. I find it raises it a notch or two.

Man, this is a beauty, Lon. Processing looks great and the repost hits the mark. The only minor nit for me is the yellow leaves merging at the to edge of the frame. I would selectively desaturate the yellows right along the edge.

1 Like

I liked the OP, but the rework does it for me.

Nice, moody scene. Glad you still had some snow in the trees.
-P

I love this Lon! Your repost is even better.

Thanks @Dave_Dillemuth - good call on the leaves top edge. I’ve tweaked my master, but will save you all from another repost. Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks also to @Michael_Lowe, & @Ed_Lowe, @Preston_Birdwell and @Eva_McDermott for your comments!

Lon, this is simply marvelous, I love it when you can get two season colliding together like this. I agree with the comment about the rock cliff introducing too much realism. But I actually prefer the composition of the original post to the rework. In the original, I like having the tree that is essentially parallel to the left frame edge, which gets cropped away in the rework. To me it 's the rock cliff above the yellow leaves that is the issue, and not the rocks in the ULC of the original crop. It’s a matter of personal taste, I just prefer the looser framing of the original (but with the rock cliff cloned away)

Lon, this is a wonderfully unique image, reminding me of a lace curtain. I like the cropped version very much. It would be fun to see a print of this.

1 Like