Outa here + RP

And a repost from suggestions below – thanks for the nudge to do a better job!

Another from Lake Pleasant – Kris probably has a version too. A pair of Cormorants were sitting on a snag and gave us a fair chance at some shots before they decided we’d had enough. The BG is all water, with the shoreline just off the top of the frame. The vertical reflections in the UL are a bit puzzling but are in the raw file. I’m tempted to mitigate them.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon R5, 100-500 + 1.4X at 700, f/10 (from trying to get both in focus in the snag), ISO 1000, 1/1600 sec, luck. Minor tonal adjustments in LR, then into PS to level slightly and add a bit on top and left. Full frame before the added canvas.

2 Likes

Hi Diane, this is a wonderful catch. Well done. I could see toning the hightlights down a bit, unless you’re looking for the high-key view. I might also consider cropping some from the right so the Cormorant is not centered and feels like he/she is flying into the scene. Minor suggestions as I would be proud to have captured this. Well done.

Boat trips on lakes can be quite rewarding and you have acquired several outstanding images. On lakes and rivers where there is a fair amount of boat traffic, the birds are often quite cooperative. I like this image but agree with David regarding the crop. I actually like the tone of the setting and background. I might try to just selectively decrease the highlights on some of the black plumage on the head and neck. I am a real fan of rich black plumage. Cormorant feathers pick up the highlights quite easily.

Oh cool! You caught one. I did, too, but I can’t remember if it’s the same bird. Funny if it turned out to be. They were super fast and funny. There’s probably detail in the feathers as others point out. I know I got some out of mine.

Thanks @David_Bostock, @David_Schoen and @Kris_Smith – the processing on this one was a bit too hasty and I’ve redone it from scratch with a linear profile and more care in the details in PS. Posted above.

Rework looks better, but a little cool/cyan to me.

I like the repost better. Improved color, highlights and crop

Yep, much prefer the rework, Diane. Well done.

A beautiful catch. You talk about luck, but you forced it a bit your way, I think. The vertical reflection in the UL don’t bother me at all. Great colors, perfect focus with 700 (!)mm and nice details.
I prefer the rework, and might even add some more space on the left side. But the posted one already makes me perfectly happy.