Oxbow Bend Triptych + Re-post

Formerly PA but I guess now ok in each pertinent regular category.
All suggestions/comments most welcome.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

My wife and I are both great fans of triptychs, so I was excited to see the term in your title before opening the file. And this one is a nice payoff for my enthusiasm, amply demonstrating the effectiveness of the technique. While I associate triptychs with “installations” on walls (we have several large ones in our homes and paid dollars-large to put them there), I can see their value now in other venues, including online.

You picked just the right subject too, and the triptych format enriches rather than detracts from the scene. New and exciting to me is the “reflection” in the lower third, which can’t be achieved effectively in an installation. It’s almost as though the triptych is suspended over an infinity pool.

Without question the best image of Oxbow Bend I’ve seen in a very long time. Standard photo treatments are mostly staid, and they pale in comparison.

Hi Sandy,

I like your composition. I have no nits for you :grinning: …Jim

A clever idea Sandy, I think of this as the view out the big picture window of Jackson Lake lodge (if only the lodge were a few miles south of where it actually is).

I like the concept of a square-ish image divided into 3 tall vertical panels, I think that is a very effective presentation. And I think this is a great subject for this treatment. I know photo-art is very subjective, but my nitpick would be that I find the “fade to black” at the bottom to be less appealing to my taste. I think I would either like to either see the top 3 panels only, or a full mirror display of the top 3 panels but flipped at the bottom.

Sandy,

As mentioned, a beautiful and very fitting landscape image for the triptych!

I too am unsure what purpose of the mirrored fade to black. I think the effect is pretty cool here online, but wonder how this would apply to hanging on a wall… I guess I’ll just keep my thoughts to the post… I’m wondering if the mirrored bottom was framed as well, rather than the fade?

Regardless, the top 3 panels are wonderfully presented.

Lon

Think of it as a framed image sitting on a mirrored glass table with a reflection - that’s what gave me the idea.
It certainly can stand alone without the reflection.
Thanks for all input!

Sandy

Ahhh, good idea. I can see now

1 Like

Sandy
Outstanding treatment. I agree that Oxbow Bend gets a little boring when you have seen it many times. This makes it stand out.

This is really cool and an excellent way to get beyond icons treated in iconic ways. Initially, when viewing this on an iPad, I found the bottom panels compelling as well, but on a bigger screen, the effect isn’t translating for me. I like the idea, and I think it’s worth experimenting further. Right now, and with this image and the bottom panel content, I don’t feel like it adds much. So, with that theory–if it doesn’t add anything, leave it out–I’m inclined to agree with some of the sentiments above.

Regardless, this is a wonderful take on a familiar spot. Kudos for the idea and the execution.
ML

Ok, by popular demand: POOF!

1 Like

I admire your imagination Sandy. The first image caught my attention immediately, but after seeing the revision, it would get my vote. As for your choice of this scene it is varied, colorful and that cloud seals the deal. Beautiful!

So creative, Sandy ! The subject works perfectly as a triptych, with the outer hills lowering into the central panel which seems to recede into the distance. And the reflections are pure delight - making a sextych I guess !!!