Palouse sunrise

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Jay,
First off welcome to NPN! The light just doesn’t get any better than this. I love all the diagonals of the rolling hills as they give this scene some wonderful depth and the highlights along the top edge is another great touch. I could see the greens lowered just a touch, but that is subjective because of the time of day. Anyway. great first post and I hope to see additional images as well as your commenting on others. It is a great community.

1 Like

Hi Jay, this is a great post - welcome too!!

The shot looks pretty well processed in my view, possibly a bit bright on the highlights, especially the ones to the left of the trees. The other thing and it’s minor (and guess this is subject to you a bit) is that I think that darker space at the bottom draws the eye a bit, away from the stunning lines and light in the center. I cropped an example, ever so slightly, so the space taken up by the dark at the bottom and the light at the top are similar. Feels like a better balance. By cropping it also eliminates the small darker scar in the field at the bottom.

Eugene

Hi Jay, and welcome to NPN, this is a wonderful first post !!!

I think you have a wonderful study in light and lines here. The zig-zaging diagonal lines make for a very dynamic image. I do like what @Eugene_Theron has done with his crop, I think that makes the front ridge a more cohesive part of the overall scene. It looks like Eugene did some subtle work on the highlights to balance them a bit, and I also think that helps. These are the kind of subtle tweaks that can take a good image up to a great one, and this is such a strong image in terms of light and composition that’s it certainly worth investing the time to tweak the small things.

Jay, welcome to NPN. The light and the zig-zag layers here are delightful. The strong contrast really lets the tops of the hills stand out while the hint of taller hills at the back add interest there. I think this works very well as presented.

Ed,
Thank you for the welcome greeting and your input on the image. Great suggestion regarding the greens. I struggle with color in general, and had a nagging feeling about the color of this scene. I think you hit the nail on the head. Many thanks!

Eugene,
Your comments about balance in the composition and exposure are extremely helpful! I processed this photo quite a while ago. It was my first try at dodging and burning. As I recall, I didn’t brighten that area to the left of the trees, but I have to say that I can’t stop staring at it now! Your comments about the crop are also compelling.
Thank you so much.

Ed, I couldn’t agree more. The quality of work on this site is intimidating, and I was anxious about posting an image. Frankly, I’m floored by the value of the feedback I’ve received on this one image. There will be many more postings to come. I hope that I’ll be knowledgable enough to return the favor some day.

Thank you very much Mark!

Jay,

I’m a little late here, but for sure wanted to welcome you to NPN. And also tell you your post here is fantastic! Yes, all about the light, and lines, layers, etc. A beautiful image.

And an image where any suggestions are just minor ones to just elevate this a bit more. I think Eugene’s comments/edits did just that. Thanks @Eugene_Theron.

Looking forward to more images Jay and your participation in critiquing as well.

Lon

Thank you for the welcome, Lon. It has been a great experience thus far.