Palouse Sunrise

This is a 2 shot blend taken minutes apart. The water was taken at .8 of a second with the sky at a lesser exposure for hi lights at sunrise.

My main concern is the balance of the light between the canyon and the sky. This was taken about 14 minutes after sunrise -for the canyon exposure. With the clouds blocking direct light the canyon was fairly even lit. And the sky at the peak of color slightly earlier.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Does the light balance look appropriate?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ā€˜igā€™ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

The perspective is superb, Greg - and I like very much the tonality of the landscape, with the eye able to pick up on patches of sunlight across the frame. To my eye the sky is a bit too bright, the contrast just a shade strong. Otherwise a very beautiful image !!

Beautiful light makes this classic landscape stand out. The lighting levels seem very pleasing to me. There very bright and colourful band of clouds at the top edge for me seems distracting, maybe a slight crop or desaturating and reducing brightness might work.

This is a wonderful view for sure, Greg. I think the light balance looks just fine between the sky and the landscape. I do think the sky needs to have the saturation reduced some as it seems a bit much; at least to me. Beautiful image.

I like your composition Greg and the overall light balance looks good to me. I do agree with the others on reducing the saturation of color in the sky. Color saturation looks very good and realistic in the rest of the image.

The sky is nice, though perhaps you could get more detail out of the red by desaturating a little or by burning it down in some spots. Overall nice, Iā€™d suggest getting some more shadow detail as the Canyon is quite dark compared to the sky.

Simply a gorgeous image Greg, a classic scene captured in amazing conditions. The processing of the light in the landscape looks great, with warm highlights and cool shadows, its nicely balanced. To my eye the sky looks mostly good too. The saturation/luminosity issues mentioned by the others are mostly an issue for me in the ULC, I like the sky in the right 1/3 of the image. I think another subtle improvement might be to ever so slightly burn the land near the horizon in the ULC, especially if you reduce luminosity in the sky.

Thanks @Ian_Wolfenden, @Kah-Kit_Yoong, @Ed_Lowe, @Eva_McDermott, @Richard_Wong, @Ed_McGuirk for all the input. I will absolutely take everyoneā€™s input into consideration in fine tuning this shot. In this particular shot this sky was one of the most colorful that I had seen in quite some time. So in the processing of this shot I actually toned down the saturation quite a bit. Mostly I did this by ā€œbrushingā€ in white light to desaturate the colors in the sky and hi light the horizon land up some to hopefully give the impression of light breaking through the clouds. But from what I am hearing I over did the brightness. Easy fix. Because of the cloud cover and with the shot being taken after sunrise the whole arena was evenly lit up without shadows etc. especially with .8 sec exposure, so I will probably leave the arena alone. I will revisit that left 1/2 of the sky and itā€™s brightness and see what happens. Thanks again to all. Much appreciated!

1 Like

Greg,

What a grand and gorgeous landscape, beautifully composed as well. Third on the list behind the sky and falls, Iā€™m really loving the tiers or terraces of the landscape on the right; topped with the spring greens all layered with a millennia of rock.

As far as the sky/clouds, I would agree with the general consensus. I do think the right side with the pinks and lavenders is believable. Starts to go a over the top as you move left. I get the dilemma and struggle with saturation, to the point that Iā€™m realizing Iā€™m understating the colors, yet I think Iā€™m pushing the limits of believability. Itā€™s a fine line with lots of wavering personal preferencesā€¦

No doubt though, I can see this as a large acrylic or metal printā€¦

Lon

Thanks @Lon_Overacker. It truly was a vibrant sky all without my help. And I definitely know where you are coming from. Thanks.