Mt. Whitney at Sunrise

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any at all.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I am particularly wondering about the contrast. Too much, too little?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

This is a single shot at sunrise that has been cropped because a long lens was not used.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ā€˜igā€™ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
6 Likes

Hi Greg,

First post here, so please forgive me if I misstep somewhere.

The scene is gorgeous, and I think your image captures it well.

I think the image deserves significant contrast since itā€™s such a dramatic photograph. The sharp peaks and angry skies certainly exude a sense of drama. Love the way the light is peaking through and quite serendipitously highlighting some of the most important and dramatic features in the scene. Itā€™s making my eye move effortlessly around the image and helps give us a sense of depth.

That being said, to your request, the contrast does feel too strong. The highlights in a couple areas are seeming hot, particularly on the feature in the center right.
Regarding shadows, I think they could stand to be brought up just a hair. The deep shadows towards the bottom of the image appear on my monitor and viewing conditions to be bordering on blocking up.

Hope this helps. Itā€™s a great capture. Would be proud to have this in my portfolio.

The dappled light throughout this really makes this come together beautifully, Greg. Overall, I do not think the scene has too much contrast. A few of the brightest highlights could be softened a tiny bit but the overall impact of the scene works for me as is. The only thing that catches my eye is the yellow tones in the highlights on the peaks. On my screen, they look very yellow. You could experiment with adding a bit more red, orange, or pink warmth to those highlights to soften the yellow a bit. Otherwise, this is a beautiful, well-presented scene!

Greg,

I think someone once coined the phrase, the ā€œRange of Light.ā€ I wonder if this is what he spoke of? :innocent::smile:

What a sight to have experienced. Certainly dramatic and with that I think higher contrast is fitting.

I was going to suggest that if you replace the original that you actually just append your post so folks can view/compare the changes. Now Iā€™m not sure how much of the lightening of that lower shadow area was done. I think this has lower contrast than your original, but Iā€™m not sure. Thereā€™s no problem at all posting reworked versions. Thatā€™s what these critiques are all for.

Back to the imageā€¦ and itā€™s a beauty. I love the inclusion of the blue sky between the golden-lit peaks and the gloomy, dark clouds. I think Sarahā€™s suggestion on the yellows is a good one, although I think youā€™re well within personal choice.

Lon

Thanks @Lon_Overacker. You are right. I just happen to be working in photoshop when I saw Zacā€™s comment and I replaced without thinking. I would be more than happy to post it. I lightened the whole lower bowl area and into the sky.

1 Like

Thanks @zac for your input. In response to your input I did some adjusting and replaced the old one. Hopefully it is a little better on those points you mentioned.

Greg. I love this image. I agree there is a lot of yellow in the sun light but this seems consistent to me with the color of light that sneaks in under the storm clouds on those rare and special occasions when these conditions occur. To combine these light conditions with the beautiful backdrop of mount Whitney is truly magical. I can see that some people might want some lightening of the shadows but to me that adds to the drama of the image. Very well done.

Great mood here Greg.

That morning was epic. Possibly the best light I have ever seen shooting. I think youā€™ve done a great job. Are you going to print this one?

Thanks @Nathan_Klein. I am not sure. I havenā€™t figured out printing yet. I have rarely gotten a good print on these dark mountain shots for some reason.

Thanks @Sarah_Marino for the input. It must be my screen. I made an adjustment to the yellows below.

Greg this is an unbelievable image. I am in love with the overall darkness that really accentuates those highlights which are in the perfect places. That light on Whitney is beuatiful. The contrast between the storm clouds and the sliver of blue sky is pretty crazy. I wouldnā€™t change much at all from here. Awesome!

Thanks @matt_fischer. Luckily you are seeing the final rendition.

Thanks @John_Moses. As per multiple suggestions I did pull back the yellow saturation in the light and made some slight changes in the contrast throughout. Thanks for your input. I did post the latest and more than likely the final version.

What a delightful image. Iā€™m a huge fan of this in every way - the comp is balanced, the light is incredible and youā€™ve processed it really nicely. I originally agreed with Sarahā€™s comment re the yellow light but I think youā€™ve adjusted it nicely.

The only thing Iā€™d like to see and perhaps itā€™s slightly more of a stylistic thing to me, but Iā€™d like to see the outer edges darkened just a tad and the centre brought up just a tad to really focus the eye in on the subject of the image and give it direction. Awesome stuff!

This is Fabulous, Greg. I like the reduction in those strong yellows from the original. Itā€™s moody and hopeful all at once and wonderfully composed. I find Whitney hard to capture somehow, which is surprising for the highest peak in CA, but its pinnacles (right word?) and surrounding peaks can seem small from various perspectives (in the Alabama Hills area, for example). The snow here really adds to this image, in my opinion.

Well done, and nicely demonstrated progress on the processing. Thanks for sharing this one.
ML

Love your re-post with the desaturated yellows. This is simply outstanding, with the dramatic light and peaks. I am curious, if a long lens was not used, how you got this to look so near? Where did you take it from?

Thank you @Sam_Ison for pointing that out. That was in my plans but I forgot.

Thank you @Kathy_Barnhart. It was taken from the road. I used my 24-105 lens. I believe this was taken at 88mm, This was cropped considerably from the original.

Thank you @Marylynne_Diggs. As photographers most of us enjoy sharing our work. According to my wife I also talk to much about it.

This is a spectacular capture of Whitney, Greg. Maybe the best Iā€™ve ever seen. The dappled lighting is exquisite. I think your second repost nailed it. Iā€™ve shot this peak a number of times over the years but have never got anything close to this nice.