Whitney at First Light

Hey David thanks for taking a look at this. I saw on your website that you have shot Whitney. I’m especially intrigued that much, if not most, of your compositions lean toward the tighter crop. I can really identify with that vision, probably because I used to work as a newspaper editor and also shot news photos. Really enjoy your work.
I’m submitting this shot, taken in October at dawn from the wonderful Alabama Hills.

Specific Feedback Requested

I like the photo. I was there on a fine, crisp morning. But I’m requesting your thoughts and ideas on this rather expansive treatment of Whitney at first light, including an opinion that it doesn’t work, if that’s your view. I have left it mostly unedited because I’m wondering whether the subtle lighting makes a great photo, or is it in need to contrast and saturation to make the peak pop more. We all see contemporaries making great photo art with low light, low contrast, expressing mood, etc. I have cranked the contrast and bumped the pale pink on the mountain, testing my options, but I get a sense of betraying Mother Nature. As you know I’m sure, Whitney is a photographer’s treat, being wonderfully visible and easily framed by great foreground. But it is also a pale grey, and on most mornings, that means pale gray with a bit of pastel color against what is usually a pale grey sky. Should I go back and try again, or create a finished image celebrating a moment captured in “real” but unexciting light and color?

Technical Details

Nikon Z6II with 24-70 on tripod, 1/15th, F11, ISO250, 35MM.

Hey James!

Thanks for taking part in the guest critique here on NPN! Happy to have you in here!
Appreciate the kind words about my work as well.

The Alabama Hills. Such a cool spot. Seeing those rugged peaks of the Eastern Sierra in the days first light is special. The soft hues of the landscape below Mt Whitney in the early light really brings out the textures of the landscape. With this particular image, I’m missing those softer tones down in the landscape below the mountains. I’m seeing a yellow color cast in the in the Alabama Hills area. The foliage is taking on the tones as the granite rocks in the foreground and mid ground of the frame due to the color cast. There’s not much color separation there. Definitely something you’ll want to address early on with the processing.

You mentioned that you cranked the contrast on this image. I’m not 100% sure if this is caused by the contrast increase or another adjustment that was made, but you have halos where the sky meets the mountains and granite boulders that touch the sky on the right. With the image in this state, I would probably start from scratch and give it another go. I would try to build you contrast up by using various selections, or luminosity masks. And come in with the processing with a gentle hand. I tend to find scenes like this harder to process because there’s such a hard contrast from the sky and landscape. I also like to process the sky and foreground completely separate.

Hope this helps!

DT

1 Like