Mt. Whitney from Alabama Hills

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I enjoy the texture and majesty of the terrain.
I would like the viewer to linger over many parts of the scene, but not sure that my luminosity adjustments work well for that.

Creative direction

I figure the bright mountain is the viewer’s starting point, and I want the eye to flow down the main valley to the foreground stony bench, but not from there out of the frame. I want the viewer to linger on the textures in the center of the scene.

Specific Feedback

Is the mountain too bright to let go of the viewer’s eyes? Does the downward path work OK? There is a lot of cool detail in the middle sides, but I toned luminosity down to emphasize the center valley … too much?

Technical Details

Canon 5DIII 2.5 sec at f/8
ISO 1000 !!
EF100-400 f.4.5-5.6 IS II at 271mm
Topaz Sharpen AI

Description

The photo was taken from Alabama Hills of predawn alpenglow on Mt. Whitney. In color, it was a lot of pink. After reading David Kingham’s article in the current Elements Magazine, I decided to discard color, and the textures really became interesting.

1 Like

Oooohh – it works for me!! I think the tonalities are gorgeous, with a lovely subtle lighter path coming from the LR corner and working its way up to the peak – or the other way around! The peak is not too bright for me – just right, with the patches of snow showing the viewer where white is. For pre-dawn light there is such a lovely and surprising amount of tonal detail here! Awesome!

Dick, I like the clarity of your vision and the way you do lead the eye using the luminosity of the rocks. From the light mountain peaks, the downward slope of the mid-ground keeps my eye focused there. Then the subtle lightness of the rocks in the LRC calls my attention to the bottom of the frame, but the upward lines in that lighter area push my eye back up to the mountains. You have done very well in keeping the eye where you say you want it.

An important element I didn’t think to mention is the tonality of the sky – it is a just-right backdrop for the mountain – and zooming in I see you even caught some stars!

@Dick_Knudson, I think you did a fine job on this iconic scene. I like the monochrome treatment and I think the overall tonality is just fine. The main subject is Mt. Whitney and the surrounding spires, and the brightness there does not overpower the bottom of the frame. My only suggestion is to crop a little bit of the sky out of the frame.

Thanks for the nudge on cropping some sky. I thought a lot about that but was unable to close the scissors on it. But will do in its next version.

You’re welcome!

Magnificent Dick. It sound like the color is interesting as well, but this was a great choice. There’s just the right balance of tones to bring out all the wonderful textures, and the composition works really well. In the large view, I enjoyed the little bright spots in the sky that I assume are stars.

Wonderful image, Dick. Mt Whitney really pops out. I darkened the sky a tad to give it even more pop and liked it but I’m not sure it’s necessary.

1 Like