Alabama Hills and Sierra Mts

Description:

Early morning exposure of the the Alabama Hills in foreground with mont Whitney in the clouds.

Specific Feedback Requested:

all comments are appreciated

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)
No Canon 5D w/ 70-200 f/4 @ f/11 1/30 sec

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.ig jmill1959

Wow, James, this feels almost otherworldly. I like how you’ve processed this. It must be seen large to truly appreciate. I’d bet it would look great as a large print. Well done.

Nice photo! Your black and white treatment is spot on. The photo captures the feeling of the Eastern Sierra very well. My only nit is that to my eye it feels oversharpened…a bit crunchy.

Wonderful tonal range James. I agree with Tony that it does seem oversharpend. Non the less this is a stunning view.

James,

Beautiful B&W rendition from the Alabama Hills. Refreshing because most images from here are typically in color - which is kinda weird.

Love the tonal range and the pano crop as well. Have to agree with comments about being either over sharpened a bit… or, and maybe the sharpening caused this, but opening up the large view it’s a little noisy - at least that’s what I’ll call it. Certainly there’s enough pixels, so I’d be curious on the sharpening process.

Most definitely you have a fabulous image that would look fabulous in print!

Lon

I agree with others that this has good impact but has too much “crunch” and contrast for my taste. Perhaps it is just the way it looks on my screen. Also for critiques, I’d suggest leaving out the borders.

Lovely scene but I’d love to see it with less contrast, noise and crunch.

I agree it is overly sharpened, The image as presented, was processed a few years ago and it might be to much clarity was added. The fill was increased in dimensions for NPN and this might have also had some effect on quality.

The high contrast black and white treatment of the East side lends to the rugged jagged features of the Sierra Nevada. It might be a bit over sharpened for the web, but I bet its spot on for a nice panoramic print.