Transported home (to Scotland) from the Alabama Hills

The alabama hills for sunrise and we were lucky enough to get a little colour. I became entranced by this rock formation as it reminded me of some of the scenes back home in Scotland.

I do have versions which zooms in more on the peak and more centered, but I was drawn to the wider vista.

All and any technical & artistic feedback welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

It took 5 bracketed shots to capture the whole dynamic range. ISO 400, f13 @ 35mm and exposure ranges from 1.2 seconds to 8 seconds

Thanks in advance,
Vikki

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Vikki,

Love this view looking east, away from the Sierra (I’m guessing lot was happening back there too during this morning…) But it’s great to see the valley and Owens Lake(?) beyond; and I especially like the continuing rock formations continuing in the distance to the right of the main formation.

The only small suggestion I have would be to bring up the luminosity in the LL quadrant. Ok, I get the time of day, but I wouldn’t mind seeing more of the rock formation on the left where the brightness is closer to what is scene in the main rock formation. It just looks a little dark - relative to the rest of the rocky terrain.

Kudos for a bit of a unique view from the Alabama Hills!

Lon

1 Like

Hey Vikki!

Nice image here. I enjoy the composition and the soft lighting. I would suggest you do some dodging on the left side of the main hill sticking up above the horizon so that it looks like it is catching some more of the reflected light from the sky and this way it will stand out a bit more from the rest of the scene as a stronger subject. Everything else looks nice! Take care.

1 Like