Passage to Whitney

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I’ve never grown tired of shooting the Alabama Hills of the Eastern Sierra and the awesome mountain wall which provides an ever-changing backdrop. This was shot shortly after sunrise while I was wandering blissfully through the (quite friendly) corridors of the area’s wonderful rock formations. The challenge is: In a place where just pointing the camera captures dramatic landscapes, how does a shooter compose something special?

Specific Feedback

I’d appreciate comments and suggestions about (1) the idea of making Mt. Whitney – the tallest mountain in the continental U.S. – a small but compelling subject and (2) whether this treatment succeeds or fails. Also, I’d like to think the leading line provided by the dry watercourse directs the eye to the great peak.

Technical Details

ISO 250, F13, 1/160th, braced on a boulder (no tripod), Nikon Z6II, 24-70MM, @26MM.
Of course I exposed this shot for the daylight on the mountain, which underexposed the foreground, so had to brighten the shadows. I was pleased with the performance of the sensor.
I punched up the white pebbles in the watercourse and saturated the blue-green of some of the plants and the orange of the lichen. Also sharpened and increased contrast for the distant peak to make sure it popped. Otherwise, the light on the tan hills in the upper right is natural.

James, this scene works just fine IMO. Very different from all other takes from this area. The small water pathway gives a feeling of “passage” if you will, albeit, a long route from there to the top of Mt. Whitney… :cowboy_hat_face:
:+1:…for the different look here.

I like this, James. A different take for sure but I think it works. I could see opening up the rocks on the left (not the path or are to the right) just a bit more to pull the viewer into that area a touch more. I would also consider desaturating the blue in the sky a bit. I keep getting pulled up to that corner I think for two reasons, one being the color and the contrast (no texture vs highly textured as well as more saturated vs less saturated).

1 Like

A VERY nice idea, pulled off very well! I’m mulling over @David_Wallace’s comment on the sky – it is so gorgeous but slightly lower saturation might be worth a look. I love the grays and then that touch of soft gold, then the mountains and then that sky! He may have a good idea to lighten the FG rock just a bit, too. Hard to know without seeing it, but maybe you did!

I think you did. I like the textures in the rocks and foliage. That spot of orange on the rock is a nice touch. There is so much to capture the attention before wandering out to the sunlight and paying attention to the mountains. The sky is not a photographer’s delight, to be sure, but @Diane_Miller and @David_Wallace have points to be considered.

This came out well James. It does minimize the mountain, but does a great job with the passage. The way the stream bed and rocks stack up do a nice job of moving the eye to the distance.

I agree that something seems off with the sky. There is actually quite a bit of contrast in the red channel, but it’s overwhelmed by the other two. I like the idea of reducing the saturation. There may be a tad green tint too?? If I play around with that sky and shift the image a little more to magenta, this is what I come up with (may not be an improvement, but thought I’d toss it up for comparison):

Thanks for these comments and your edits John — the green might have sneaked in there yes. The color of the rock on Whitney can drift to grey green. Would be interested to see a print — that might reveal what happneed in the shadows when I brightened them. In any case I’m encouraged by the feedback from you and the others. I’m heading back to the area in April for the Owens Lake Bird Festival so can give it another shot.

1 Like

Really appreciate the feedback Barbara

Thanks Diane — I thought it was pretty good but needed the feedback to validate my feelings on this. I’m heading back to try again next month.

I like your composition and idea of leading the user to the sunnier area. However, this image looks over processed for my taste. I like John’s adjustments regarding saturation. I might bring the shadows down just a tad. Much of that has to do with monitor brightness however.

Thanks Igor. Should have probably shot it HDR on tripod – or as you suggested, let the edit be true to the dark foreground. Or get myself a medium format sensor!